Chapter Thirty-Eight

Finn's POV

I glared into the depths of Adam Lincoln's soul. Slowly, I squeezed my hand into a fist. If I was a deity, he would've squeezed with my motion. Unfortunately, I was not.

I was so angry and so scared. This actual douchebag had his mind set on getting back together with Aidan. After ten years of being single! It was so obvious that the guy had heard about Aidan's new relationship through the grapevine and wanted to ruin it.

Just because Adam was sad and lonely didn't mean Aidan had to be.

He was like the song Attention by Charlie Puth. He literally didn't give two shits about being with Aidan, but he gave a million shits that Aidan was actually happy and successful.

I got through the entire class without absorbing a single word that Adam had said. For once, Jerry didn't even try to troll Adam by talking about how hot Aidan was. He could definitely tell that something was up.

Aidan wanted to wait until December and it made perfect sense. He couldn't lose his job, that was way more important than being public about our relationship. Especially considering I had nothing but debt and sadness, he kind of needed a salary to support me in the future.

But Adam could go jump off a cliff before he could ever lay a hand on my boyfriend.

The back of my head was whispering about how creepy and possessive I was being, but it was coming from a place on insecurity. I had only been dating Aidan for half a second, even though it felt like a million years. Adam had known him for so long that I wouldn't even blame Aidan if he picked Adam over me.

Why wouldn't he? I was a broke college student who ran the risk of getting Aidan fired and Adam was a grown ass man with a salary.

On paper, it was a no-brainer.

But the way that I felt with Aidan was something I had never felt before. The thought of it being all over choked me up with sadness. Especially because we still had so much left to do. We needed to meet each others parents, adopt a dog together, move in with each other, say I love you, have sex, get married, live our whole life together!

He'd already done that stuff with Adam and it ended up sucking. Why bother go for round two? If he picked Adam over me, I'd hit him over the head with a shoe. Aggressively.

When class was over, I left with a quiet bye to Jerry and told him that I was going to Aidan's. Jerry didn't mind, because it was another night of clubbing and nefarious activity for him.

I met Aidan by his car, only to be wrapped up in a big hug. A little bit of the nervousness that had been choking me eased away. "Aidan...?"

"I hope you aren't mad at me." He pulled away and held me an arm's length away, just so he could look at my face sternly. "Tell me if you're mad at me and we'll work through this right now."

I waved him off and climbed in the truck. Looking a little panicked, he followed my lead and climbed in the front seat.

"I'm not mad at you," I sighed, deflating a little bit. My original bravado broke down the second I realized that Adam was the more intelligent choice. "I'm mad because of Adam making moves on you."

Aidan snorted and pulled away from the campus and away from stupid ugly Professor Lincoln. "Trust me, busting into my office and yelling about how I'm a dick really isn't making moves. Are you jealous?"

"No," I muttered. I slouched in my seat and kicked my feet on the dash. "I'm annoyed. You're not gonna pick him, right?"

Aidan's laugh was genuine with he heard what I said. "Pick him? Finn, I've already picked you. You're my boyfriend. Adam is my crazy ex-husband who needs to get a grip onto reality and realize that I'm not boning Jerry."