S.E.P.

"Trust me he is. He is very mysterious, but you don't want to get on his bad side. My advice? Try not to talk to the guy if you can. Shouldn't be too hard. He isn't one for talking anyways."

"Hm, what's his story?"

"Rumors say he came out of the Army."

"How'd his ass end up in S.E.P.?"

"He must have been in the top of his class and took the offer. No one really knows. His book is locked."

Jack stood up. He felt his arm being grabbed.

"What the hell are you doing? Did you not just listen to what I said?"

Jack peered over his shoulder.

"Watch the coils, and yes I heard you. That's why I'm going."

He approached the tall figure with suave hair and fixed face. His darting eyes flashed at Jack. Jack crossed his arms darring his eyes back towards the mysterious man.

"How'd you end up in the program?" Jack asked.

The mans firm lips started to move.

"Who's askin'?"

"76."

"No, not that fake number they give you."

Jack collected himself and stared firmly.

"Morrison, Jack Morrison."

"Where you from Jack?"

Jack chuckled.

"Nowhere special."

"How'd you get in the program?"

"I was in the US Military. Heard that's where you came from too."

The mystery man nodded.

"Don't know where life is gonna take me, but doing this shit? It will be interesting to see what happens."

"How bout you?"

"Hm?"

"Tell me who you are."

"Gabriel Reyes. US Military. Soldier 24, if you care."

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Hm, let's load up."

The sound of hover copters and trucks came closer. Jack and Gabriel heard the familiar voice of their squad leader shouting from one of the trucks to load up. The two of them throw on their helmets and load into the truck. The jeavy footsteps made it rock back and forth, but the two managed to keep their balance.

"Watch your coils! We don't want you passing out on the job!" The squad leader said.

Everyone grabbed a rope hanging from the ceiling of the truck to avoid falling over. Gabriel tried to speak to Jack over the sound of the moving truck.

"Let's hope all that stuff they pumped into us is useful for somethin'."

Jack's mind went back to when he was in a hospital bed. Drugged up. Useless. He felt fluids being forced inside his blood. His adrenaline was pumping. Sweat ran down his nose. He could hear doctors teliing him he was going to be ok. That this stuff will make him run faster and be stronger. Even though their were so many reasons to doubt it. There was no turning back. There was no giving up. He committed himself to this new life. He had no idea how long he would be here, but it wasn't his choice anymore. His flashback was interrupted by the chattering coming feom the soldiers. The squad leader yelled at them to shut up and be ready. They all lunged foreward feeling the truck come to a stop. Jack let go of the rope and checked his gun. Gabriel grabbed his shoulder. Jack looked back to see Gabriel's helmet staring back at him and his glove rested on his shoulder.

"Let's kill these damn tin cans!" He exclaimed.

Jack nodded and looked foreward prepared to run out and fire at anything that moved (besides the squad of course). The door came down. A bright light almost blinded them, but the helmets activated and put shaders up. Once everything came into vision Gabriel and Jack ran from the truck. They could hear heavy gunfire. Gabriel grabbed Jack's shoulder and threw him behind a piece of debris.

"Get down!"

Jack ducked for cover. He looked over his shoulder across the city. Several Bastion units emerged in on them. Jack ducked almost getting shot by one of their bullets. He tried to xatch his breath. Gabriel sat next to himfiring on the other side. He took out one of the units and fell back. He looked over at Jack who was in a panick. He grabbed his shirt and looked Jack in the eyes.

"You're not gonna pass out on me, are ya?"

Jack chuckled shaking it off and focused in. He turned over and aimed his gun at one of the units. He fired several shots before it fell. He felt Gabriel hitting the plank behind them to reload and began firing off again. A soldier across from them began shooting as well and was shot down. Jack looked over but stayed focused. He talked into his com.

"Soldiers down!"

Several shells covered the ground around them. Gabriel fell back.

"Im out!"

"Their getting closer!"

"Not for long!"

Jack went back to reload when he looked over to see Gabriel pulling out two grenades. Jack threw his gun down and covered his ears. Gabriel pulled the cords and tossed the grenades over his head. He ducked down next to Jack. They both waited. The ground shook. The first one had gone off. Robot debris flew everywhere. Shards of metal fell to their backs. The ground shook again. The second one had gone off. The dust cleared. The gunfire stoped. The two of them peered over to see if their was anything else. There was nothing. The squad leader looked through his scanning binoculars.

"It's clear. Target eliminated. You all know the drill. We can't show ourselves in public. Move out!"

Jack and Gabriel went back and they remembered that they were no longer in the military. They were in a top secret organization. They both stood up and head back to the truck. Jack took a deep breath and grabbed the rope again. The door shut and everyone took off their helmets. Jack and Gabriel were both wet with sweat. Jack looked back at Gabriel panting loudly. Gabriel's panting turned into laughter as the sweat dripped from his nose. Jack started to laugh with him.

"Well, that was fun." Gabriel said.

Jack shook his head.

"You call that fun?"

"I couldn't care less about omnics."

Jack turned back around. In his mind he thought that Reyes was a bit racist, but another part of him could agree with him. They got back to base and unloaded the truck. Doctors were on standby. The soldiers all lined up. The doctors injected a syrum into each of the soldiers as they walked through. Jack's turn was next. The doctor lifted his sleave and put a thick needle into his arm. He tried not to move, but winced a bit in pain. The doctor took out the needle and gave him the ok to go. He went back to his dormitory. Gabriel was behind him heading back to his own. Jack had been constantly told about this guy that he now knew as Gabriel Reyes. He was told not to talk to him, but found him to be quite a nice guy. Jack smiled knowing that he had someone he might be able to trust through all this.