Different Plans

Ana chuckled and kissed his cheek. It felt so unatural to feel her lips again when he had just made contact with Gabriel. Could Jack tell her?

"Where are we headed?"

"I found an abandoned farm right outside of Dorado. We'll be safe there."

"I think you underestimate Talon."

"Maybe, or maybe I just believe in a better life. I just hope being in Mexico won't remind you of Gabe too much."

Now that Jack thought about it, he knew that being in Dorado would remind him of Gabriel. He just didn't have the balls to tell Ana that. He tried to change the subject.

"How did you get passed Talon's security?"

"I'm actually not sure. All the doors were unlocked except for your cell of course, but the turrets and defenses were all down."

Now Jack was confused. It sounds like Sombra let Ana in, but why?

Ana drove the van into a deserted field and up to a rickety old barn.

"Thought this might be familiar, farm boy."

Jack chuckled.

"I'm not a young man anymore."

"Well,I think we all know that Jack."

"Shut it, you're not far from."

Ana chuckled as he took her in his arms. It was good to see a familiar face, but faces can fade away in the mind. Jack knew Ana, but after seeing Gabriel, alive, mostly. He felt like he didn't know her anymore, at least not as much. Jack had just realized how much of a toll Gabriel's death was on him. He let it change him. Jack allowed that feeling of loss overcome him. Was he desperate to find someone who still cared about him, or did he truly love Ana at the time?

"I set up some defense systems around the barn, but the sensors are not in place. We can look at the monitors, but it looks like we'll be switching off night watches again. Don't be stubborn this time I get first..."

Jack looked solemnly towards the ground.

"Jack, what is it?"

"Do you remember after the explosion we could never find Gabriel's body?"

"Yes, why do you ask?"

"Ana, he's still alive."

"How do you know Jack?"

"Because he's working for Talon."

Ana gasped.

"Under the alias Reaper."

Ana took several steps away grabbing for air. She began breathing rapidly.

"It's not possible!"

"Gabriel is alive, barley. His body, everything has changed. He's become some sort of ghost-like figure, but I can tell he is suffering."

Ana shook her head rapidly placing both her hands on Jack's cheeks.

"It doesn't matter. You never have to see Gabriel again. If he has chosen to become a terrorist, we cannot change that."

Jack grabbed her wrists pulling her hands from his face.

"Ana, I have lived the last eight years as if Reyes was dead, but it's like he's come back to life. I'm sorry Ana, but I still have feelings for him, and he needs someone to guide him back on the right path. It scares me that I am admitting this, but I cannot watch him suffer."

Tears ran down Ana's face.

"You-you cannot be serious Jack. He is a monster!"

"I-I'm sorry Ana."