SEVEN

loving is easy by rex orange county

I don't see Nick on Sunday. I see him in my head as I replay every moment from the night before, shocked by my own daringness, but I don't see him in real life. Even at night, I don't see him sneaking out of his bedroom as I hopelessly wait for his presence.

Alright, so what? So what that I purposely sat by my own window to wait and see when he left his? Who cares? I'm simply curious, and I want to make sure that I'm available if he wants to do something with me.

He doesn't.

I go to sleep happily simply because I only have two more days of school. Two more days of forcing conversation with people who I know don't care. Two more days of lectures, homework, and the close mindedness in all of my peers. Two more days left of having a group of friends because I know for a fact they will be gone like the wind once we graduate. Tyra may text me here and there to check on me out of pity, which means Katherine will check in on me by association, but it won't ever mean anything. None of my relationships with my friends mean anything.

They never did.

I'm at my locker when I see Katherine and Tyra walking by. I smile softly, hoping maybe they'll stop to talk. A part of me wants to tell them everything about Nick and how wonderful my weekend was, but I also don't want to say anything. I want to save it for myself, or at least for someone who gives a shit.

They approach me. Tyra leads and Katherine follows. She's always been the only one to go out of her way to make sure I felt included. Sometimes I want to tell her not to bother. I'd rather not have any friends than feel like I'm only a part of their group out of pity.

"Hi, Mary!" Tyra smiles, her tight curls bouncing as she jumps next to my locker. "How was your weekend?"

I shrug. "Nothing out of the ordinary, I guess. What about you guys?" I glance back and forth from Tyra to the green eyed, red haired beauty that is Katherine.

"Same old prom stuff," Katherine giggles, nudging her girlfriend's arm.

I nod, then pull my literature text book out of my locker to add to my stack of books I'm already holding.

"Anything new on that guy?" Tyra asks, causing me to quickly bring my attention to hers. She suddenly laughs. "Woah, that's the most response I've gotten out of you in my life!"

"What guy?" Katherine asks.

I swallow hard and look around, almost as if to be sure that Nick isn't around to hear what I'm saying. I don't mind telling them since Tyra asked. After all, it's nearly begging to escape me.

"This guy that lives next door to me— well, he has been living next door to me for two years. I didn't know, but he goes to school here," I explain to Katherine to catch her up on the matter. I'm happy Tyra didn't tell her; she's very loyal to her friends. "I asked Tyra on Friday if she knew his name, because I sure didn't."

"Come on, Mary!" Katherine teases. "You bring obliviousness to a whole new level."

I roll my eyes, expecting that out of her. She's not as sensitive and patient as Tyra. I'm not in dyer need of coddling, but it gets old being talked to like I'm stupid.

"Anyways, I know his name now. It's Nick Robinson," I say as more of a question, hoping his name rings a bell to one of them. A little background information would be nice. "Do either of you know him?"

Tyra shakes her head. Katherine, however, her eyes light up instantly.

"He dated Bethany Harvey last year, right?" she asks.