Testing

Haruka woke an hour before the meeting time mention by Kurenai. She had only slept two hours, but that was enough considering she usually only got one. The whole night she had been researching, trying to find a new jutsu to use. She knew quite a few but was so out of practice with them they would be ineffective. It would be easier at this point to learn a new jutsu than try to relearn all the complicated ones that Rioko-sama forced on her.

After looking through scrolls all night, she decided to learn the Chakra Scalpel. She had good chakra control, was proficient in medical ninjutsu and knew enough about the human body that it would be reasonable to build on her skills with this technique.

She would begin to learn it after today's gathering of her team. It would take quite a while before she could use it in the field, but it would hopefully be worth it. Getting dressed, she headed out to the training grounds, worried about her Nii-san.

Haruka had heard him the night before as he stayed up and agonized about some test he had to take. With all her heart she wanted to be there and help, but she just couldn't. For one, he hated her. He would reject her help and then she would just get in the way. And another, she had her own team business to take care of. Despite how little she cared about being a ninja without her Nii-san, she wouldn't fail her team. That would be heartless.

She arrived before anyone else and decided to meditate to prepare herself for whatever was to happen that day. Haruka had a feeling that it was more than a meeting, especially seeing as Nii-san had a test that day. She just hoped that she would not need to fight her new sensei. That would be a bit too soon for her to deal with.

A minute later, Kurenai arrived. Haruka didn't greet her, just continued with her meditation. Kurenai felt a bit insulted to not be acknowledged, but pushed that feeling down. This was her new student, and she would need to a least learn to tolerate any of her quirks. Like her introverted-ness.

The rest started to trickle in, starting with Shino and ending with Kiba. They sat down at the same spots they had the day before, Haruka ignoring them all until Kurenai spoke up.

"Alright, for today I want you to talk among yourselves and get to know each other a bit more. I'm going to go for a few hours, and when I get back we'll see how far we are." Kurenai stood as the four all showed their agreement in their own ways. She left, anxious. It would be her first time testing her students, and she was afraid it would go wrong.

************************

The Hokage had started watching Team 8 at the beginning of their tests. He hadn't told many beyond a few of the Genin teachers, but they were a bit of a test team, and he wanted to see how they were doing.

Most teams were grouped based on abilities. Team 9, for example, was a delay and information gathering team. Team 7 were "heavy hitters."

Team 8, though, was originally going to be more of a tracking team. When he saw that they had an awkward number of new Genin, he decided to try something different.

Haruka would need a lot of training with Genjutsu, from what Iruka told him, so Kurenai would be an ideal teacher. Not only that, she was a new Jonin teacher, meaning she wouldn't have any set ideals or traditions.  Considering all that, he wanted to see how it would go if he added a "heavy-hitter" to the tracker group.

Trackers were always getting injured because they were trying to get fairly close to the target. All of the trackers on Kurenai's team were strong, yes, but on missions based on their skill sets they would be distracted with tracking the enemy. Surprise attacks wold be very fatal. By adding a "heavy hitter", who's job would only be to protect the trackers and possibly carry information, there was a chance missions would have a higher success rate.