Chapter 1

"Oh come on Lily, why not?" Lily Mercer's best friend fell into the sagging couch behind her with a dramatic plop. "It will solve all of your problems. You need a new job; it's a job and one that pays well." Petra Thatcher had always been dramatic, just like her name.

"It would also solve my problem with casting this role. There is no one locally who is right for the part, and trust me, I have auditioned all of the possibilities." She gave a little whine as she kicked her feet.

Lily rolled her eyes. "Shall I count the reasons why?"

"Yes, please do, and if I can solve every one of them, you have to do it." Petra sat up, her attitude quickly changing because she loved a challenge and there was the possibility that she might get her way.

Lilly had been making a sandwich in the kitchen while watching her friend's theatrics from a distance, now she grabbed a soda and headed towards her, joining her on the old couch.

Her apartment had seen better days, but it was inexpensive, and she could afford it. She had inherited it from a former roommate who had returned to her native New York when she found the bugs and heat in Savannah, Georgia too much to bear.

Petra and Lily had grown up together in a small little town in South Dakota called Jurgen. Lily's aunt, Kate, had introduced them both to the beauty of Savannah during a girl's trip, and they had both fallen in love, swearing that they would both move there as soon as they were able, and since there was an excellent art school in the city it had been easy to do. They had enrolled as acting students and quickly settled into the sleepy little city. Lily had no wish to leave and Petra felt the same.

Petra's career choices led her to the job of casting; she handled a large part of all the casting done for the movies and television series that filmed in the area. The low taxes and its natural beauty made Savannah an ideal location for both film and television.

"Fine, number one, I don't have an equity card." Lily started strong.

"I'll take care of that." Petra insisted vaguely.

"Two, I have a job that pays the bills, how long will this one last, one week maybe two?" Lily was loath to give up what little security she had.

"I have it on good authority that, depending on the chemistry between you and the lead, it could be a lot more permanent. Maybe even a love interest for the lead." Petra countered.

Lily choked on her sandwich as she thought about Finn Baxter, the lead in the television series, Hallowed Ground. He was dark, mysterious, and dangerous on the show; enough to get most girl's hearts racing, and the idea of possibly being his love interest gave her indigestion. Not to mention Petra's 'on good authority' could be a rumor she heard from catering for all she knew.

Lily threw her sandwich down, no longer hungry, and Petra picked it up, taking a bite.

"You have met me, right?" She took a swig of her soda.

Instead of immediate disagreement and saying things such as you're beautiful, you have just the right look; Petra looked very uncomfortable.

This time it was Petra's turn to throw the stolen sandwich down. "There is a catch; you're too pretty." Petra's large green eyes met hers across the table.

Lily snorted out her drink, and a little went through her nose, causing a burning sensation that made her eyes water. "You're joking, right?"

She shook her head "No, I would need you to look like you did in high school."

"Petra, I was a nightmare in high school!" She still felt like a nightmare even though she did her best to hide it most of the time. She had had awful curly hair that was always on the frizzy side; it was a plain mousey brown as were her eyes, which she had hidden behind thick glasses growing up. "I don't have to pretend to have pimples do I?" she asked incredulously.

"Does that mean you'll do it!" Petra squealed.

"No, I misspoke." She leaned back and looked at the ceiling. "So, your idea is to have a stunning man like Finn Baxter fall in love with an ugly duckling?"

"Yes, an ugly duckling who will eventually turn into a swan."

Lily snorted again. "Now I know you've got the wrong girl."

"Nope, I've got the right one. You were the ugly duckling, but now you're a beautiful swan." Petra picked up the sandwich and took another bite with a grin.

"There is just one thing you've forgotten." Lily kept her eyes trained on a crack on the ceiling.

"What's that?" Petra asked still smug, thinking that she was about to win.

"I can't act," she insisted softly.

This time Petra choked. "Yes, you can!" She stood up to her Amazonian height of six foot one. "You are better than most professionals I know, and I wouldn't offer you the job otherwise. But, if it will make you feel better, you can come in for an audition just like everyone else. In fact, I insist on it!"

"Fine Petra, I'll come in for an audition," Lily said, knowing there was no way she would get hired, but at least it would get Petra off of her back, and maybe once she got through the humiliating ordeal Petra would leave her alone for good about the acting thing.

Yes, it had been her first love, but it had been pointed out to her by one of her professors, that she would never amount to anything because she lacked passion in all things. The sad thing was that he wasn't that far off. She was twenty-three and had never had a real boyfriend and had barely been kissed; somehow she didn't think a dare at a slumber party counted. Men had always made her anxious and awkward, and she had never met one that she had wanted to kiss.

Either way, she knew that Finn Baxter would eat her alive, she had learned that he was temperamental and didn't suffer fools gladly from Petra during her many vent sessions.

"Goodie! I'll set something up for next week." Petra leaned over and hugged her tight. "You won't regret it, I promise."

All Lily could do was smile sadly at her friend's optimism, wishing that she felt a little of it.