Chapter 30

It was late, and Lily couldn't sleep because she was worried about the following day. Mason had decided that they would shoot the nightclub scene. Not only would she have to sing but she would have to kiss Finn. The idea of kissing Finn or rather Finn kissing her was tying her in knots, and she couldn't help but wonder how Finn felt about it.

She had been living with him and Mike for a week and it had been fun. The three of them had hung out together at night and had breakfast and dinners together. She and Finn had even started riding to work together on days when their schedules matched. The fact of the matter was that she had fallen more in love with him not less. He was wonderful with Mike and he was courteous to her, treating her with a respect that no one else in her life ever had.

She watched the moon's reflection dance across the waves and listened to the gentle surf. It was a soothing sound and not one that she was used to coming from South Dakota. Cold, that was what she was used to, cold and snow. She smiled at the thought.

"Why aren't you in bed, it's late?" Finn asked from behind her.

Lily looked over her shoulder, taking in his appearance. He was wearing running shorts, and nothing else and the moonlight highlighted all of the planes and angles of his muscles. Lily had been staying with him for a week, and word had gotten out around the set. According to June, they were having a heated affair, and they were going to announce an engagement soon. Lily gave a long-suffering sigh; she wished that was an option on the table. She would snatch it up in a heartbeat.

To be married to Finn, to live with him day in and day out, to have him by her side for her to depend on would be her deepest wish come true. But none of that would ever happen because the man wouldn't even kiss her without being forced to, and she had her doubts that he would in the end. He would probably do his best to talk Mason out of it tomorrow.

"I'm just nervous about tomorrow." She looked back at the ocean. "How do you not spend all of your time out here?" she asked.

"I spent more than my fair share of time in and out of the water. It's lost a little of its magic." He sat in the chair next to her, propping his legs up on the ottoman in front of him.

"Are you nervous about shooting the final scenes?" she asked.

He gave a small smile. "No, should I be?"

"You have to show your leg, doesn't that make you uneasy or self-conscious?" Lily turned her head to look at him.

"Not really, I've done my best not to let it define me or make a big deal about it. I like to think that's why most people don't notice it." He shrugged.

"Wasn't it hard at first, after it happened?"

"Sure, but loosing by teammates was harder. That was more of a danger to my sanity than the loss of my leg ever was. I've worked hard to deal with both." He looked over at her. 'Why are you nervous about tomorrow?" he asked as if he didn't know.

"I've already told you. It will be my first real kiss, and it will be in front of a lot of people." She blushed a little as she said it.

"I thought you were joking about that!" he exclaimed, causing Lily to look at him and note his shocked expression.

"Why would I lie about something like that?" she demanded.

"To get me to kiss you!"

Lily shook her head, at a loss for a comeback to that.

"How have you never been kissed before?" His eyes were still wide.

Lily shrugged. "Because I've spent most of my life looking like this, and let me tell you, this look does not grab the boy's attention in high school." She wiggled in her seat, uncomfortably.