Chapter 21

It had been a long day, and everything that could go wrong had. They had broken for lunch, and Lily was trying to convince herself to eat something so that the situation didn't get worse when she got the shakes from low blood sugar.

After last night at Finn's house, her nerves had returned full force, and she was on edge to the point that her head hurt, she missed most of her lines, and she had broken a piece of furniture on set by falling on it. She was leaning against a wall at the back of the building and to one side of the outdoor set. She had cut her arm and knee when she had tripped over a pot and landed on a wooden swing, pulling the entire thing from is fastening on the staged porch, and she was too embarrassed to find the set medic and get treatment for it.

Closing her eyes, she took a deep, ragged breath in an attempt to find her equilibrium. It appeared as if she was back to square one, the laughingstock of the set. Finn's sister had brought back a lot of memories and made her feel young and helpless like she had as a teenager. She hated it, but she felt powerless to stop it.

The tears started, and she was powerless to stop them, so she let them come as quiet sobs made her shoulders shake. Her father and mother and hated it when she had cried, and they had always yelled louder and longer for her to stop, so she had learned to do it alone and silently.

It struck her the night before, as she had laid in bed in the dark, watching the time pass while sleep evaded her, that she and Finn weren't all that different. They were both scared and lonely, but there were differences. Finn's loneliness was self-inflicted for whatever reason, and hers was due to circumstances that she was powerless to stop. He was lonely by choice, but loneliness was never a choice that Lily would make.

She stopped crying and sniffed as she heard raised voices. Reaching into her skirt pocket, she pulled out her sunglasses and put them on to hide her red and puffy eyes. She dreaded to think about how her makeup might look. Thankfully the frames were large and covered most of her face.

Slowly, edging herself around the building, she looked across the set and saw Finn with his sister, her voice had risen, but his was staying low and calm. Lily scanned the area and noted that there was no one around. However, her eyes were caught by a sudden movement from a parked car in front of the area where Bethany and Finn were arguing.

Waiting and watching, she saw a phone pop up and then pop back down, someone was taking photos of the argument, which was odd because the set had tough security. Bethany was getting more and more agitated, and Lily realized that neither one of them realized that there was a person taking video or photographing them.

Thinking quickly, she moved in a wide circle, lining herself up so that the man was in her path before taking a deep breath and charging into the situation before she could change her mind.

"Finn!" she called, expressing excitement as if she was happy to see him. Without looking around and keeping her eyes trained on Finn, who looked startled for a moment and then resigned, which she guessed she deserved after the way she had acted on their kind of date. She rushed towards him, pretending not to pay attention to the path she took as she cut between the two cars, bumping into the crouched man who lost his balance and fell. His phone shot out of his hand as he tried to catch himself, and Lily stomped hard on it as she passed.

"Oh, no!" Lily said with surprise as she turned to look at the fallen man. She turned to help him up, stepping on the phone again. She cringed and looked down at her foot. "I think I broke your phone!" she picked it up and held it in her hand. "Here let me help you up! I'm so sorry; I'm very accident prone, it's the joke of the set. Of course, I'll buy you a new one!" she insisted as she looked at the phone.

"Finn!" she called turning around and sending the phone flying causing it to land in a conveniently placed bucket of nasty cleaning water that they had been using earlier to wash the cars.