Chapter 26

Finn sat in his truck outside Lily's apartment, cursing himself for getting involved, for not being able to walk away. He leaned his head back on the headrest of his seat. He should be on his way to Lana's hotel, not sitting here, watching Lily's apartment, risking someone calling the police on him.

Lana was a smart, beautiful, funny woman, who understood how it was all supposed to work. She worked for the communications company that handled the studio's press. Finn had met her two years ago when she had flown in from Los Angeles to handle the press for the show. They had hit it off, and it was understood that it was a friend's with benefits situation. When she was in town, they would spend time together, but otherwise, they didn't have much to do with each other. It worked fine for both of them.

Or it had work fine for both of them. When Lana had called Finn had been pleased, he had cleared his schedule and found a friend to take care of Mike. It had been going smoothly, even though something had been holding Finn back, making him delay returning to Lana's hotel with her. Then he had looked to his left and seen Lily, she had given him a hesitant smile, and he had felt riddled with guilt.

Why? He hadn't promised her anything. He had done his best to push her away. A night or two with Lana was just what he needed to get his mind back on track and off the little klutz of a girl who was probably passed out by now.

He rubbed his hands over his face as he thought about the situation. When Lily had looked at him pleading for help he hadn't hesitated, he had sent Lana on her way and then pulled Lily out of danger once more. How she had made it to adulthood was really beyond him.

He picked up his phone and called Lana, she answered after the second ring.

"Hey, I take it you're not coming?" she asked. Finn could hear the amusement in her voice.

"No, something came up," he explained without really explaining anything.

"I guessed as much, does it have to do with the curly haired girl that you escorted out of the restaurant?" she teased.

"Yes, she's a co-star on the show, and I didn't want her making a scene." It sounded good to him.

There was a moment of silence. "Alright, we'll go with that, although you weren't really with me this evening, your head was somewhere else, and once you spotted her, you kept your eye on her the entire time."

"I served with her uncle, so I feel the need to keep an eye on her." Finn was digging deep for a responsible reason to be interested in Lily.

"Sure, either way, I look forward to meeting her on Monday. It will be interesting to meet the girl who is softening your hard heart. If something changes, you know where to find me."

"Thanks, Lana," Finn said, ending the call.

It was getting late, and Finn was debating calling Lee to tell him what had happened when he looked towards Lily's apartment and saw the boy she had introduced as her brother, Henry, pacing in front of the building.

Finn didn't waste a minute as he joined him on the sidewalk where he was looking up at the door.

"I wouldn't advise it," Finn said softly behind him.

The boy jumped and turned to look at him, and Finn could see tears welling up in his eyes. "T-t-thank you for helping her," he stuttered.

"Why didn't you?" Finn asked as he crossed his arms and looked down at him.

"I was afraid. They threatened me and then Lily."

"Continue," Finn encouraged, watching Henry closely.