Chapter 32

Lily sat at the dressing room table, looking at her reflection. The ladies had done their job well, and even she had to admit that her transition from ugly duckling to swan was complete. She looked stunning. She hardly recognized the girl looking back at her.

They had tamed her curls into a 1940s updo with dramatic sweeping curves. Lily's make-up was flawless, and her red lips were full and kissable. June had assured her that no matter how many takes, how many kisses, her ruby red lips would remain intact. She stood and looked at the silk dress that hugged her curves. She was wearing minuscule underwear, and there were no lines in sight.

Her image should have made her happy, it should have given her confidence, but it didn't inspire any of those feelings. In fact, she didn't feel anything at all. If ever there was a day she wished she could call in sick to work this was it, but you couldn't do that in acting. The show must go on, no matter what.

Hadn't Gene Kelly danced through the flu and a hundred-four temperature in Singing in the Rain! She could act through a little heartbreak.

The door opened behind her and Mason walked in, stopping when he saw her, giving a low whistle.

"You look beautiful, Lily," he said softly.

"Thank you," she said as she forced a smile.

He held open his arms, and she walked into them. "How are you? I heard about the run-in with your mother this morning," he asked as he squeezed her.

"I'm fine, Finn took care of it," she assured him.

"Wonderful, how is it going living with Finn and Mike, are you all settled in?" He stepped back from her and looked down at her.

" Fine, but I'm thinking about taking a vacation when we're done here. Finn and Mike won't need me," Lily said hesitantly. The idea of returning to his house was one she was dreading, and after spending a week with him, she realized she wasn't needed, nor would she be.

When he had first mentioned the idea of her moving in she had hoped that the reason he had wanted her to help was so that he could keep her near. Now she knew that wasn't the case. She had been thinking about it all day, and if she had to guess she would guess that her Uncle Lee and Finn had made the plan to keep her safe from her mother. Especially after his comment the night before where he let it slip that Eve was still around.

"I think that's a great idea!" Mason grinned. "Now, are you ready to make your grand entrance and sing your heart out?" He threw his arm over her shoulder and walked her out of the dressing room. It was as if he sensed she wanted to run away and he wasn't going to let her.

Mason had gone all out for the scene. There was a big band on the stage, the room was filled with diners and dancers, and all of the crew were there. So much for a closed set. He led her across the room, through the crowds of people, holding her hand. Everyone stopped talking and working as she passed.

If she weren't numb from her aching heart, all of the attention would have made her nervous, as it was, she walked through the silent crowd oblivious to all of the surprised stares.

"Let's rehearse the song, shall we?" Mason suggested, leading the way onto the stage. Lily did a quick scan of the room and saw Jo standing in a corner with her mouth hanging open in shock, she wasn't in the scene, but she had come to watch. Next to her was Tom, who was smiling appreciatively at her new look. Finn was nowhere to be seen.

Elias was making a guest appearance and was sitting at the piano. He winked at her before he ran his hands over the keys, and Lily couldn't help but think that he looked great in a tux.

Lily walked over to the old fashioned microphone and waited while Mason adjusted it to her height. "Can we get a soundcheck," he called into it. Lily was singing live, with the possibility of a voice-over if it didn't turn out well on film.