Chapter 6

Lily sat in her dressing room, looking at herself in heavy makeup in the mirror. Her first day on set had been an utter failure. She had started by spilling coffee on her costume, and Monica had assured her she wasn't the first as she pulled out an identical outfit for her to wear instead. Cindy had come to get her, and she had gotten halfway to the set before she realized that she still had her slippers on her feet.

She had finally shoved her feet into the clunky heels and had managed to make it to the set with little upset. However, when they called her to take her place for the interview scene with Desmond, she had tripped on a cord and pulled two lights down and sent the entire set into total darkness. That wasn't the worst though; the worst was when she landed in someone's lap and she heard a soft grunt as she elbowed whoever it was in the stomach.

When she went to move and apologize, she felt an arm wrap around her waist and hold her down.

"No, stay, the last thing we need is you moving around in the dark and causing more destruction," Finn Baxter's warm breath whispered into her ear.

Lily had mixed feelings as she sat as still as possible on his lap. He had to feel the wild beating of her heart and hear her irregular breathing. She felt like crying because she had made a mess of everything, but she also felt very warm and aware of Finn Baxter's every breath.

When the lights had come back on she had blinked and everyone had slowly turned to look at her sitting in Finn's lap. There had been a few grins and catcalls while people made comments about making good use of a dark room.

All Lily had felt was humiliated, and she wanted the day to be over. There was no way she would make it. They were bound to fire her after the mess and delays she had caused. The director had swooped in and pulled her off of Finn's lap as he slung his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close. She didn't like the way he was holding her, and she had tried to pull away, but he wasn't taking the hint.

She had managed to get through the scene somehow, although no one, not even her co-star, offered her any words of encouragement. When she had re-joined Monica to return her costume for the day they had teased her mercilessly about being held in two men's arms in such a short time.

She had done her best to play along, hiding her embarrassment, but now that she was alone in her dressing room, she could feel the tears starting. However, a sudden knock on her door made her sit up straight as she called for them to enter.

"You already sound like a star!" Mason teased as he closed the door behind him.

"Ohhh, Uncle Mason!" she cried as she launched herself into his arms. "I made a total fool of myself!"

"I heard," he said, and she could feel his shoulders shaking with laughter.

"Don't laugh! It's not funny!" she cried, stepping back and shooting him the meanest look she could muster with a tear-stained face.

"Yes, it is!" he said, pulling her back into a hug. "Remind me to tell you about the time Aunt Cassie, and I met; she drew blood, my blood, or I can tell you about the time that she lost most of her pants when she ripped them on a box." She felt him smile in her hair. "On second thought, forget that last one."

"You're going to have to fire me, aren't you. That's why you're here." She sniffed into his shirt.

"Nope, I'm only sorry I missed all of the action, I bet Finn enjoyed every minute of it." Mason hugged her a little closer.

"I doubt it; he wouldn't let me go when I tried to stand up, he said he didn't want me causing more destruction." She blinked back tears.

"If you say so," Mason said, still smiling.