Chapter 19

The waitress who approached their table had a brilliant smile on her face as she greeted them and then turned all her attention on Finn. "Would you like a drink from the bar?" she asked.

"Lily?" Finn asked, leaning back in his chair.

"No, thank you, I don't drink. I'll have a sweet tea with lemon please," Lily replied.

"I'll have the same," he told the waitress without looking at her as she left.

"How do you handle everyone staring?" she asked as she looked around at the other diners who quickly looked away when her eyes met theirs.

He shrugged. "They'll get bored in a few minutes. I would have thought you would have been used to it by now."

"Me? Why?" she asked, confused by the comment.

"Because of Mason and Cassie, you are friends with them." He picked up the coaster in front of him and rolled it on the table.

"Not the kind of friend who goes out with them. We only hang out at the house, and I mostly babysit." She watched his fingers as he rolled the piece of cardboard.

"You don't find that odd?" he asked.

"No," she shook her head. "I only know them through Penny and Sam, who are friends with my Aunt Kate and live next door."

The waitress brought their drink and asked them if they were ready to order. They both ordered the fried shrimp and passed the menus back to her. Lily leaned back in her chair and admired the view behind Finn. They were on a dock that extended out over the water and beyond the water was the tall marsh grass. The sun was setting, and the red and orange colors it created across the horizons were lovely. It was a beautiful spot, maybe her new favorite spot.

"But you call them Aunt and Uncle?" he said, trying to figure out the dynamic.

"That's because there are so many kids in the family, Mason has five brothers and one sister, and between all their kids, and Penny and Sam's kids, everyone is an Aunt or Uncle. It makes it easier, and less formal that way, plus the kids are more accepting of me." She turned her attention away from the scenery and back on him.

He was watching her as she spoke. "Why do you look at me like that?" she asked, meeting his gaze.

"Like what?" He arched an eyebrow.

"I don't know. Like I'm a puzzle to figure out?" Lily looked away, unable to handle his intense stare.

"You are a puzzle; you're young and innocent, which is contrary to your ability to read people and the witty comments that you throw around."

Lily smiled. "My Aunt Kate says I have an old soul."

"Is that what you think?" He took a sip of his drink.

"No, I think I had to grow up fast and learn how to read people out of necessity." She looked at him with her smile still in place but a little forced. "What did you want to talk about since this isn't a date?" She quickly changed the subject before she was tempted to share more. Sharing wasn't her thing, but she found it a little too easy to do with Finn.

"My nephew, Mike," he frowned, "how did you know that he didn't like Gretchen."

"He told me." Lily couldn't help but feel a little disappointed that he wanted to talk about Mike. She thought for sure it would be something more serious, but then again, she should be glad, he could have wanted to give her a piece of his mind for interfering. Was that what he wanted to do? "Are you mad about it?" she asked, feeling the old unsure Lily slipping to the surface once more.