Chapter Four: Unexpected

I held my bag tightly in my hands as I look at the main offices. I was starting to doubt myself a little bit but my mother's statement about me succeeding had me inhaling deeply as I started up the stairs to the large doors. They didn't swing open for me and I had to lift the large knocker and bang it for the door to creak open. I winced at the sound as I pushed at the door with a heavy grunt, it barely moved but it was enough for me to slip inside. It closed with a resounding boom that made me jump.

Eyes landed on me and my cheeks went bright red with embarrassment as I scurried towards the stairs. I didn't like everyone looking at me so intently. I started up the stairs, thankful that I had left my robes at home because I was probably sure I would have fallen and smacked my face if I hadn't. I wasn't going to lie, I felt a little safer in my robes, it was easier to be invisible with them on.

My sneakers squeaked on the stairs as I hurried up them, hoping to escape the feeling of eyes on me. I came to the ornate hallway and the feeling of being watched only seemed to increase. I hunched my shoulders forwards, clutching my bag tightly in my hands. I felt almost like I was prey being watched intently by a predator. My heart thudded hard in my chest as I swallowed thickly, resisting the urge to look behind me.

A door opened and I jolted, fear surging through me for a brief moment before Mercutio stepped outside, calming my fears. He stopped, staring at me with wide eyed shock as if he hadn't been expecting me to return. I swallowed before giving him a rather shaky smile. "I want to help." I wanted to wring my hands together but settled for tugging down my long sleeved shirt and wiping one of my hands off on my jeans.

A smile was slow to cross his face but once it did I felt nearly blinded by it. He seemed to relax before he held out his hand. "Come, Novis, let us discuss this in my office." He seemed so warm and friendly that despite the scarlet that stained my cheeks I found myself giving him a smile as I moved closer and letting him encase my hand in his own. He held my hand gently in his as he guided me into his large office, once again that feeling of not being in earth's dimension washed over me, making me shudder. "Before we go any further, Novis, I have something I wish to say." He waved his hand and two chairs gracefully moved towards us. He lead me to one and when I sunk down into it, he let my hand go to sit in the other.

I looked at him expectantly as I tucked my bag besude me and his expression turned a bit pensive. "I have not had a lot of time to fully discuss this with the Divines but my officials have told me that if you do this for me, you will become Queen." His words made my face pale and I felt a little light headed. Queen? What the fuck was that supposed to mean? As if sensing my sudden upheaval and panic he reached over and took my hand in his again even as I felt like my heart was going to pound out of my throat at the action. "I know that there has been talks about me claiming a Queen for the Covens and if you do this for me, for us, I would gladly take you on as my wife." He gave me a small almot glowing smile at that and I felt like I was having troubles breathing.

"You come from a strong bloodline and for you to help with this cause, for you to succeed in this, would mean you have something that no other witch could possibly have." He looked at me so intently that I couldn't help how my ears suddenly burned to match the hotness in my cheeks and neck.

"What?" My voice once again squeaked out and he stroked my fluttering pulse in my wrist with his thumb.

"My recognition, respect, and my favour. It is not given lightly and I would be intensely happy if you agree to become my wife. You are a stunning witch, Novis. So beautiful." He reached up and brushed his thumb across my cheek and sent a flurry of butterflies through my stomach. Me married to the King of the Covens? It felt like I had stepped into an alternate reality but I found myself nodding without realizing it.

I felt struck dumb by the news, by the proposal. I was barely a level one witch and he was willing to tie himself to me for eternity? I swallowed hard. "My magick-" My throat felt dry and I gave a small cough to try and clear it but he shook his head slowly.

"It is of no consequence, your blood is strong and so is mine, that is all that is needed." He stroked my cheek with the back of his fingers, the touch feather light and sent shivers through my entire body. His absolute faith in me was addicting. "But thank you for agreeing, Novis. You are such an agreeable witch, you will make a fine Queen indeed." He smiled at me once more before grasping my other hand and pulling me to standing. He didn't move back and I stumbled into his chest. I let out a tiny eep and tried to step back but his hand fell to my lower back and held me close. His chest rumbled as he chuckled. "I think I like this very much." The words were low and sent another rush of butterflies through my stomach as he held me even tighter.

I could hear his heart beating even and strong in his chest and despite how red hot my cheeks felt I found myself relaxing against him, letting his presence envelop me in a sea of fantasy. His hand touched my cheek and I looked up at him as I shuddered as his other hand slid up my back. "So lovely." He leaned down and kissed my cheek softly. I felt like my heart stopped beating and time has stood still as his lips lingered on my skin. "Now for your protection." He slowly let me go and I gave a small gasping inhale, shaking as I felt the blush travel down my body. He winked at me as he moved towards the door. My knees felt overly weak at the action and I gracelessly sat back down on the chair.

"Now as you are dealing with a rabid werewolf, I figured that you are going to need a protector." He looked so unaffected that I was envious. I was a mess of nerves and desire and embarrassment. Me? A Queen? I felt like my head was swimming and I couldn't really think straight. He had proposed to me, actually proposed to me. I was sure I was having a dream or a very real hallucination and was making an utter fool of myself. I glanced over at him as he opened the door and nodded to whoever was on the other side.

I slowly stood up, straightening my shirt and wiping my sweaty hand on my jeans. If I was going to make an impression on my protector I knew it needed to be a good one. I hastily brushed my hair down with my hands, trying to tame the waves into a semblance of order before tucking some behind my ear to kept it out of my face.

"Your Highness." The voice was rumbling and seemed to vibrate the very air as a broad man muscled man came through the door. He was just a few inches taller than Mercutio but he was wider. I felt my eyes widen as I took in his form. He was... strangely handsome, in a rugged kind of way and my heart flipped in my chest as his gaze turned to me and his eyes gleamed with a flash of interest.

A werewolf.

My protector was a fucking werewolf?

I knew Aymis would have pissed himself laughing at me and I resisted the urge to sink back into the chair and hide as Mercutio waled back towards me, the werewolf following him. Mercutio held out his hand for me and I slipped mine into it. He kissed the back of it softly before turning. "Novis, this is Abraham Nox. He will be protecting you." I tried very hard not to stare at the werewolf but it was hard, I could feel him looking at me and I felt a little unsettled by it.

"Nice to meet you, Abraham." I swallowed as I glanced over at him and his eyes went half lidded as a rather emotionless smirk crossed his face.

"Abe, witchling." The force of his voice trained on me made my knees shake and I swallowed hard again. I had no clue why he had to bring in a werewolf but when I glanced up at Mercutio he seemed relaxed and at ease and I knew I had to listen because I was certain he knew what he was doing and I needed to trust him. If I was to be his wife I would need to trust him completely but as I felt the werewolf's eyes on me once more, I couldn't help but hold that back for a moment.

What warlock would allow his bride-to-be be escorted by the closest thing to a sworn enemy our species had?