Chapter Six: Insecurity

I didn't want to look at the werewolf as I glanced at Mercutio. I felt utterly confused, the werewolf protector aside, what was I supposed to call the King of the Covens? He had proposed to me and I think he thought I had agreed and perhaps I did. The offer was beyond tempting. Warlocks never talked to me and this was the strongest of them all, of course there was a huge part of me that accepted it. I was Nolo Vis, I had no magick and to be simply given the offer was more than I could have hoped for my life.

"Novis, darling." The pet name made a burst of butterflies erupt in my stomach and make my face heat as he looked down at me, his expression warm.

"Yes?" My throat felt dry and I blinked up at him. I was still confused but when he was looking at me like that, it was like my brain flat-lined.

"I know you said you packed already but I did request for some of my underlings to prepare a bag for you as well." He squeezed my hand before kissing the back of it, his eyes holding an almost heated note that made the bottom of my stomach drop out. I hastily looked away feeling a strange sort of emotion rolling through me at the gesture  "It will contain some mesmer crystals, some stones charged with different healing spells. There will also be some spell orbs that you can use for protection. In fact I insist you use them if someone is attempting to hurt you." He brushed my jaw line before pressing a finger underneath my chin and lifting my face up to meet his gaze.

"You must remain safe." He said it firmly but softly and I felt like my face was on fire as my stomach bottomed out once more. "If you are to be my Queen, you must remain protected and safe." He murmured the words as his thumb brushed my chin and I felt my eyes widen with a slight bit of panic as my heart thumped harder in my chest. I really didn't want to think about being Queen at the moment.

The door opened once more and Mercutio let his hand drop from my chin but turned slightly, placing his hand on my hip almost lazily. "Your Highness, where would you like this?" The feminine voice had me stiffening as I dropped my gaze to the floor. I clenched my teeth as I always did when confronted by other witches.

"Bring it here. Novis needs it for her travels." He patted my hip softly before his hand dropped and I glanced towards whatever witch had arrived. She skirted around the werewolf, looking at him as if he were a dangerous bug. It was strange to see someone so disgusted and scared all at the same time. I didn't know the witch but I didn't like being around them. Too much bad blood and insults for me to feel comfortable being around them.

She had a canvas backpack clutched in her hands as she stared at the werewolf and he shifted on his feet, leaning towards her slightly. I watched as she flinched hard and scurried away from him with her face twisted up with terror. I glanced at the werewolf and watched as the corner of his mouth twitched upwards, letting me know that he had done it deliberately to scare her. As much as he was terrifying, I found a smirk on my own face at that.

"Why is there a werewolf here?" The witch spat it out, her voice low and Mercutio held up a hand before holding it out for the bag. When she paused and looked at him in confusion he motioned with his fingers. She narrowed her eyes as he handed the bag over.

Mercutio pulled the bag away and then waved her off with his other hand. "Dismissed." The word was said curt and short and I found another smirk tugging up my mouth when I watched as her expression darkened. She glanced at me, looking me up and down before she sniffed and spun on her heels, her own curt dismissal of me. A familiar feeling of hot shame curled up in my stomach and I pinched my lips together as I watched her walk away, humiliation tainting my cheeks with a fiery heat.

She lifted her head high as she swayed her hips, more than likely for Mercutio. I swallowed hard, reminded of my own inadequacies. Without warning the werewolf shifted towards her and snapped his teeth in her direction, causing her to shriek and me to jump. She bolted out of the room and I felt a shocked giggle rise up in my throat that I fought very hard to keep down but failed.

"That was not necessary, Abraham." Mercutio's voice was low and full of censure and the werewolf's response was a dark chuckle, a cold smirk tugging up the corner of his mouth. Mercutio sniffed lightly before grasping my hand and placing the strap of the backpack into it. "For you. This should have everything you will need." I held the strap tightly before he shifted to be in front of me, reaching up and lifting my chin to meet his gaze. "You need to be protected, Novis, I am entrusting your care to the werewolf but for added security, I have a gift for you." He pulled a rather delicately beautiful necklace from his pocket, the filigree charm looked like it was spun of spider silk and I blinked rapidly at it. It looked fucking expensive. I wondered where he had gotten it from so quickly. I guessed that it paid to be prepared when you were King.

"Here." He unclasped it and reached around me, putting the necklace around my neck. His chest was nearly pressed close to mine and it felt overly intimate and I couldn't help how my cheeks flushed as his presence seemed to envelope me. "I created the spell myself, I wasn't going to leave your protection to anything but myself. Never take it off, Novis." I nodded at the order before embarrassment rose up in my stomach as I felt the werewolf's gaze land on me. I didn't like that much predatory intensity on me and for some strange reason I felt like Mercutio shouldn't be touching me while he was there. It was strange.

The necklace settled on me and I could feel the thrum of the powerful spell it held and it made me shiver and the hair on the back of my neck rise slightly at the feeling of it. I swallowed hard as he grasped my shoulders. I looked down at the necklace and he kissed the top of my head, making an embarrassed heat coat my cheeks once more I was pretty sure I was permanently red at this point.

"You stay safe. There is a car out front for you and Abraham." He let me go, stepping away and I couldn't help the bit of relief that I felt at that. I nodded before I turned and grabbed my own bag. I kept my eyes down as I carefully put it into the backpack. "You keep her safe, werewolf. I want her returned unharmed." Mercutio's words were cold and sharp and I shuddered at them before I threw the backpack over my shoulder. I stood beside my King, shifting on my feet as the werewolf grunted his acknowledgement.

I glanced up at him and met his gaze, he gave me a short head bow like he had before. I swallowed hard, feeling uneasy as he turned and walked towards the door. I hesitated in following him and Mercutio pressed a hand against my lower back. "You will be alright and you will succeed, Novis. I believe in you." He said the words next to my ear and I shivered at the warm breath brushing against my skin before I nodded and slowly followed the werewolf.

I looked forward, my eyes scanning his broad back. He looked like he could break me without a thought and my stomach turned at that. I swallowed hard once more.

I hoped the King of the Covens knew what he was doing.