Chapter Ten: By Any Other Name

The motel room was a little dated and it did have a bit of a smell but it was not that bad. I had to really give it to the werewolf because it was definitely better than the motel that Mercutio put us up in. I felt a bit off about that thought. Mercutio was supposed to be prepared and that motel showed me that perhaps he hadn't. I had wanted to defend it but Abe had been right, it was a shit hole. It just felt absolutely strange to prefer the decision of a werewolf over my King but there it was.

I moved over to the other bed and set my backpack down. The bed spread was a very strange green colour that I wasn't sure if I liked or not but I knew I couldn't exactly complain. I sat down on the bed with a sigh, finding my gaze moving towards the werewolf. I narrowed my eyes slightly, I wasn't sure what to think about the fact he knew that my real name wasn't Novis.

"How..." I paused, my face going slightly red. I didn't really wanted to say anything but I had started to speak and it would look ridiculous to stop now. "How did you know my name isn't Novis?" I stared at his back as he pulled a gun from a holster on his side that I hadn't seen. I tried hard not to but a bit of fear seeped into me seeing him handle it so easily.

"How did you know how to pop a lock?" He asked the question lazily and at that my face went bright red with embarrassment. That was one of my low brow talents that I hadn't really wanted anyone to know about. I was a witch, I wasn't supposed to know how to do B'n'E human style. Witches used magick for that.

I gave a small cough, looking down at my hands. "Bam taught me." She had given me the basics and I had learned from there. It had been handy when she wanted ingredients that she wasn't supposed to be able to get. All she had to do was send me into get them because the magickal protections only warded against witches with viable magick. I could pop the locks and get in without many qualms.

"A viable skill. I'm impressed." He stood up from his spot, the movement catching my attention. I watched as he moved over to the tv that looked to be from the eighties and turned it on. Static filled the room and he gave a low rumble of agitation before he turned the knob again and a news program came on.

A rather awkward silence fell as he stared at the screen, seemingly enthralled by the dial tone voice that came from the newscaster. I couldn't pull my eyes away from his form. Out of the jacket I could clearly see the defined muscling of his form. That small curl of desire started in my stomach once more and I bit back a small eep at it. I managed to tear my eyes away from him as I pressed my hands to my stomach, cursing myself internally. I wasn't supposed to like werewolves. I wasn't supposed to desire werewolves.

I was on a job for Mercutio, he wanted to make me the Queen of the Covens, he wanted to marry me. I said it over again and again in my head but that desire didn't go away because all I could remember was Abe's hand gripping my hip strong and sure and his rumbling voice stating he might fuck me. What the hell was wrong with me where I would desire someone for speaking so crassly?

True, I never had a guy show me really much interest beyond sex and that had stopped when I realized that their whispered words meant nothing because when I would give them what they wanted they would always laugh at me and leave me feeling sullied and horrible about myself. It was better to ignore them or say no than to experience that sort of pain again.

But my desire for the werewolf went against all of that. Why would I desire him for wanting me simply for sex? I hated it when men did that, I didn't want to be used for sex and have that be my only use in life but for some strange reason whenever the werewolf mentioned it, when he looked at me with that glint in his eyes, I wanted to do nothing else but allow him to dominate me.