Cool for the Summer

Hmm. Listened to "Cool for the Summer" by Demi Lovato and had a burst of creativity. If you can't listen and read, listen before or after, I highly recommend. The grammar is probably terrible and I'm sure stuff doesn't make sense because I speed wrote this and I'll most likely end up rewriting it tomorrow.

***

A knock on her window causes Cady to jerk upwards, her phone dropping next to her and illuminating her body. She throws the white sheet over her aside and swings her legs around the bed, perching at the edge. Janis's face appears in the window, and she motions for Cady to open it. Cady, realizing that Janis is balancing on the only flimsy branch outside her window, rushes across the room and unlatches the window, lifting it up with one hand and pulling on Janis's arm with the other. The early June warm breeze hits Cady in the face and flows inside.

"Janis... you're an amazing friend but what the hell?! School ended today and I literally saw you a couple hours ago," Cady says, attempting to ease slim Janis through her window. Janis opens her mouth to reply but crashes to the ground and rolls over onto her back. Cady sighs.

"Sorry, I just... It's urgent," Janis says, scrambling to her feet and brushing her jacket off and closing the window behind her. Cady tries to read her face. Is she scared? Angry? She's biting her lip and has her eyebrows scrunched up.

"Better be. Here Jan, sit on the bed," Cady says, kneeling in the middle and patting a spot next to her. Janis unlaces her combat boots and delicately places herself on the bed, a sizeable distance from Cady.

"Do you ever have something you really need to tell someone but then you second guess it every time because you're scared that you're not really confident in what you want to tell them or you can't gauge how they'll take it but you also can't keep hiding it because the pain is eating away at your heart because people say it's now or never but is it really?" Janis rambles, her voice cracking nervously at the end.

"Well that's oddly specific so no. But if you're talking about me then I'm sure there's nothing you could say to me that would make me all that upset," Cady says, smiling. Janis just looks down.

"I've sure you've never heard this before," she whispers, fiddling with the pins on her jacket.

"My parents are biologists, I lived in Africa, and we go to a really weird high school. I don't think life can surprise me right now, so try me!" Cady chuckles.

"I-" Janis squeaks out. She swallows, opening and shutting her mouth, searching for words.

"Janis?" Cady moves towards Janis and grabs her hand, trying to comfort her, but she stands up quickly. Janis briskly walks across the room to the window. She takes a deep breath, opening the window slightly and grabbing her boots before turning back to Cady.

"Caddie I'm gay. There I said it! Really crazy gay, just like Damian, and I wanted to tell you first because I've been bouncing the idea back and forth in my head for years but when I met you I knew I was. Something just came over me tonight and I thought you should know; I've been struggling with it for awhile and it was you who-" Janis chokes out with tears welling in her eyes when she's interrupted by soft lips that taste like coconut lip balm. Her boots clatter to the floor. Janis's hands have a death grip on the windowsill, and her whole body tenses up, the tears flowing slowly and leaving little paths down her cheeks. It feels strange, it shouldn't happen, it's both wildly wrong but weirdly right at the same time. Cady breaks away, looking down at mesmerized Janis.

"Have I not told you how wildly bisexual I am?" Cady says, taking Janis's hands off of the windowsill and into her own, her breath quickening.

"No," Janis whispers, her eyes wide in confusion and excitement.

"Do you want to go home or-" Cady starts as she sees how tense Janis is and wipes away her tears, but Janis cuts her off.

"Do you... um... me? Really?" Janis says, staring into Cady's endlessly cerulean eyes. Cady's little giggle makes Janis's heart flutter.

"Yeah Janis, I do," Cady says, pulling Janis close. She gasps.

"You're so good at-"

"-Hiding it? Yeah, I am," Cady says calmly, but behind her eyes, her brain is alight with excitement and nerves, unsure at what's to come.

"Kiss me again," Janis growls in a mock demanding tone, grinning before angling her head and wrapping her arms around Cady's neck. Their lips meet and Cady pushes Janis to the wall then holds back for a moment, noticing Janis tense again.

"Okay?" she asks.

"I don't know what I'm doing," Janis sighs, just wanting Cady's lips on hers, even if she has no idea about anything else.

"Don't be scared, I've got you," Cady says, thinking back to the very few makeouts she's shared with Aaron. She rolls her eyes.

"Aaron?" Janis asks.

"Sadly, Cady replies, bringing her lips back to Janis's and sliding her tongue slowly to her lips, which part slightly to allow entrance. Cady explores her mouth and then allows her to do the same, moving her hands around Janis's torso. She tugs at the sleeves of Janis's jacket and for once, she allows it to come off, hitting the floor where both of their shirts land on top. Janis is the one who makes the next move and takes Cady's hand, rolling onto her bed and letting Cady lay on top of her. A few minutes of light kisses and Cady rolls off of Janis, landing next to her and taking her hand. Their fingers lace together perfectly and Janis rests her head on Cady's shoulder.

"Okay then," Janis says, feeling elated and pleasantly surprised.

"What, is that not what you wanted to happen?" Cady teases.

"No, that was like what I dreamt would happen!" she responds, looking up at Cady.

"We're cool for the summer then?" Cady asks.

"Of course," Janis replies, rolling over to stand up. "It's 5 am Caddie, I've got to go back," She puts her shirt back on and zips up her jacket. Cady pouts.

"But we just started!" she says in mock annoyance.

"Yeah and we can finish if you can explain to my dad why I snuck to your house in the middle of the night," Janis retorts, pulling Cady in for a crushing kiss, her hands sliding into her hair. They release and Janis squeezes Cady's hand before opening the window.

"Bye babe," Cady smiles.

"Babe? I can work with that," Janis slips her feet out of the window, placing them gently on a branch. She takes one last look at Cady.

"Don't tell your mother," she whispers seductively, holding one finger over her mouth in a 'shh' motion. Cady squirms. Before Janis's head slips out of sight Cady hears her whisper the most Janis-esque thing on earth: "Even if they judge, fuck it all."

***

You can tell it's rushed because the descriptions are sh*t and the characters aren't developed right but eh! Please please please give me some feedback, I really need it.