And the Rest of the World Falls Away

Surprise! I finished something I've been working on for awhile so here you go. I hope it's good. Inspired by "Only Us" from DEH except a little more angsty because... well... we all know how Janis is.

***

Every time, it's nothing like Janis has ever felt before even though she knows she has. Cady's soft lips taste like strawberries and her hands are wrapped under Janis's arms, pulling her 5'4' frame up towards her. The bleachers come back into view as the two seperate slowly. Janis sits back on her heels, Cady still on her knees.

"What are we, Cady?" Janis asks, tilting her head to the side. Friends, she knows they are, Cady comes to hang out with her and Damian whenever she can. They watch movies and make popcorn and laugh like friends do... but only if Regina doesn't have plans with Cady. But they've been making out under the bleachers and now they're both just masses of confused hormones.

"I have no idea," Cady whispers, looking content yet confused.

"As much as I love making out with you under the bleachers at lunch and sharing stories and being friends, making me enter 5 minutes after you so that Regina doesn't suspect anything makes me feel like shit and I know sexuality is hard but what the fuck are we doing here?!" Janis says, sighing in exasperation.

"You know what would happen if Regina found out. I'd be called a... what they call you and no one would talk to me and-" Cady starts to explain.

"Oh so you mean you'd be like me." Janis says.

"Yes... I just don't know how to... like... find out who I am and tell people. And I can't break off from the Plastics and join you and Damian fully I mean no one has done that before and I would lose a lot, and I think I'm still technically dating Aaron but I'm not really sure," Cady says, plopping down and crossing her legs. Janis knows what she wants to say next will mess everything up but she says it anyways.

"You can't risk your status, I understand. Why don't we make it even less risky and just stop this all together, huh? You don't care about me, you don't care about Damian, I know, you'll always be on Regina's side. But at least stop making me think that we could actually have something because believe it or not, I really did want to have something with you!" Janis says, her voice cracking at the end. She slips out from under the bleachers, her wavy hair flying behind her as she runs toward a little cluster of trees. Cady leaps out and rushes after her, skidding into a tree and stumbling down on top of Janis. Cady lifts her head up from where she has landed on Janis's knees, sitting up in the dewey grass.

"Janis. I am really, truly sorry for how you feel. I focused too much on Regina and figuring myself out and I needed to experiment-" Janis turns bright red.

"I'm NOT your little 'experiment' Cady! That's the thing. You're using me, you're using me to get what you want and then you go cover it up and trick me into thinking that you like me. Our relationship, if that's even what it is, if fully circled around Regina. You walk inside before me so that Regina won't suspect things. We can't talk to each other in the halls because of Regina. We can't hang out very much because of Regina. Regina Regina Regina!" Janis yells the last part, her eyes full of anger. Cady sits quietly, thinking carefully. What would happen if she admitted to Janis that she liked her, a lot. So much so that she stayed up at night thinking about her, her curves, her constant smell of paint and lavender, the way she holds her when they kiss. Cady pulls her knees into her chest. It's all so confusing.

"Janis?" Cady whispers.

"What," she growls back. Cady flinches.

"I want to clear the state and start over," Cady says, as confident as she can muster.

"I-" Janis starts, but stops when she sees Cady's face fall. "Go on," Janis says reluctantly.

"Try to quiet the noises in your head," Cady says, moving closer to Janis so that she's sitting two feet away, allowing Janis plenty of time to move. She doesn't.

"How can I when the sound of our relationship crumbling every time you blow us off for Regina gets louder and louder," Janis snarls.

"Ouch," Cady winces, moving away from Janis again.

"I'm sorry Caddie I just... I didn't think I could care about one person so much so that it would break me," Janis says, sliding farther down the tree so that she's almost laying down, her jacket enveloping her upper body. Cady swallows. Does she admit it? She twirls a strand of her hair around her finger, deep in thought. "Shit Caddie can you not be hot for like half a second so that I can stay mad at you?!" Janis screeches, covering her face with her hands. A single tear runs down Cady's cheek. Janis looks up in shock.

"See, Jan, Aaron would never say anything like that. Nothing he does ever compares to you and your ridiculous impulsive statements that make me so happy," Cady says. "It's not so impossible, you know. Nobody but the two of us here, because what you're saying makes me think it's possible. You love me, I can tell, I just have to let myself love you back," Cady exhales. Janis blinks.

"Damn Caddie-" Janis starts, but Cady cuts her off.

"And what came before won't count anymore. No Regina, no plastics, no Aaron, none of that. Can we try that?" Cady stares into Janis's eyes, the soft brown practically melting before her. Janis is unsure of what's even happening now.

"If you're willing to do that then please be my guest but I also love you enough to realize that I can't let you do this if you're not ready. But if you really see me, if you like me for me and nothing else... Well, that's all that I've wanted for longer that you could possibly know!" Janis whispers, deep in thought.

"I'll do it. I'm a bitch, I know, but Janis, I think I need you more than I initially realized. I can't leave you, I won't break you, I refuse to do that! You're right, we can be something," Cady says forcefully. "We can try that, right? You and me, that's all that we need it to be," Cady says before she is pulled on top of Janis and their lips connect. Cady's tears keep falling, but out of happiness, not frustration. They drip on onto Janis's cheek and she pulls Cady into her jacket, allowing her to wrap her arms around her small frame. Janis clutches Cady's soft and bouncy hair with one hand and pulls her closer with the other. They break apart, Cady kissing Janis's neck softly and laying her head on Janis's chest.

"It could be us," Janis murmurs.

"And only us," Cady replies, kissing her again. And the rest of the world falls away.

***

I significantly enjoyed writing that very much. I've been working on this for weeks, even though it's not long at all, I just wanted to get it right so I hope I did!