Chapter: 1~ Haven't we already met?

Thomas grabbed his bag and moved towards his bedroom door. This was it. He was going to finally go. Ever since he'd arrived in Colorado, he'd wanted to investigate the ruins of an old farmhouse. It was at the edge of a small town called Deer Trail and was somewhere in the expanse of fields. He'd heard about it through some people talking very loudly about it at his new school. He thought it sounded interesting but wasn't entirely sure the place was real. That was, of course, until Thomas had questioned Minho on the phone about it.

It was a far-fetched query, as Minho had also only moved to the same state a few months before. The two boys had been best friends since they were toddlers and had grown up almost like brothers. Thomas had been devastated when Minho had broken the news that he was moving away. However, as luck had it, the brunette's father had a promotion, so had to move to Denver. The boys still didn't live in the same neighbourhood but were close enough to see each other every weekend and that was exactly what they were doing now.

Though, on this occasion, they were going a little bit further than their usual meeting place in Garland Park. Minho had also informed Thomas that it wouldn't be just the two of them like most of the time, but he had invited some of his new friends to come along. Thomas had only met the Asian boy's friends a couple of times and liked them a lot from what he had seen of them. This trip would be an even better opportunity to get to know them.

Now, as Thomas strode down the stairs, his excitement was peaking. Just thinking about what they would find forced a burning curiosity to flourish in his chest. That and a trickle of fear but he simply pushed it aside, deciding to just enjoy himself and face whatever happened head on, no matter what.

Minho had insisted that they have a whole day to explore. That meant that Thomas had to wake up at 6 am. Ugh. Waking up early did have its perks though. Today was his mom's usual shopping day. That would mean being dragged out and forced to walk around the grocery store, then, after hours of painful food shopping, the clothes were next. Thomas hated it and felt terrible when he had to tell Chuck- his little brother- that he would have to stay behind to help their mother. Chuck had instantly wanted to investigate the abandoned farmhouse when he'd first overheard Thomas talking about it with Minho but when the smaller boy had asked Thomas if he could come along, the brunette had told him that it would be dangerous so they would have to 'scout it out first' and begged Chuck to stay. The 'scouting' was only part of the truth. Thomas didn't really want his little brother to come. It would just mean more responsibility and this was meant to be a carefree trip.

So, as Thomas poured himself a bowl of cornflakes, he hoped that Chuck would stay asleep, leaving him to be guilt free. Kinda... He simply shook his head and concentrated on keeping an eye on the clock. Deer Trail was several miles from Denver and the main road there was Route 70. They would have to catch a bus as far as they could go and then hike the rest of the distance. Timing was essential if they wanted to make it home in time for tea and still have plenty of time to nose around.

Thomas swallowed his last mouthful of food. Then, as he was setting his empty bowl on the counter, he glanced up at the wall clock. It was 6:56 am. All the boys had agreed to meet in Garland Park by 7. The walk to the park from Thomas' house would take at least ten minutes. He was already late and he wasn't even on the move yet.

"Shuck!" He cursed as he swung his bag over his shoulders and tugged the straps tight. Unlocking his front door, Thomas stepped out and pulled it close loudly behind him. He cringed but just started out in a sprint hoping he wouldn't be too late if he was quick. He assumed he wouldn't be due to the fact that he was part of the track team at his new school. He was one of the best, if not the best. He had a race next week and was anxious to become state champion.

But that was next week. Right now he was sprinting down East Lousiana Avenue. At the rate he was going, he wouldn't be too late. However, it was still a big let down for his friends. Especially when Thomas had organised it in the first place.
Just as he reached South Holly St, his phone buzzed. Thomas paused and pulled it out, checking the screen. It was Minho asking where he was. He didn't reply but simply put his phone back in his pocket and continued running. There was no point as he was only a few minutes away by this point and texting back would just waste time.