Chapter: 13~ And your relation to him is..?

Thomas didn't know what to say. He stared in shock at Nurse Jones, tears beginning to fall again. So many thoughts swam through his mind that the news hadn't completely sunk in yet and he didn't know how to feel.

The sound of a blood-curdling scream down the hallway finally snapped Thomas out of his confusion and the emotion that smashed into him was complete agony. His hands shook as he tried to keep his cries back but it wasn't working.

Thomas sobbed like nothing before. Hitched breaths escaped his lips as tears rushed down his cheeks, dripping onto the gray plastic flooring, splashing in patterns. He knew he was jumping to conclusions, that Nurse Jones could have meant anything but that didn't stop the tears from falling.

"W-what happened?" Thomas mumbled not looking at anyone as he spoke.

No one answered.

"What happened?!!" He shouted despair clenching his heart as he glanced up at the nurse.

She stuttered, opening and closing her mouth, words unable to escape her lips as she tried to form a sentence.

Thomas sobbed loudly, dreading what he wanted to, needed to ask, "I-is he, is he..."

"Dead?" Nurse Jones said quietly, finally finding her voice, "No, but the surgery didn't go well. H-he's being prepped for a second one and it could be just as long as the first."

At the mention of Newt being alive still, Thomas's face brightened slightly. However, emotional pain continued to assault him and he placed his head in his hands once more, crying hot tears. He felt sick from all the times he'd cried that day but couldn't find the strength to stop, so kept letting the tears fall.

After a minute of sobbing and shaking, Thomas looked back up at Nurse Jones, who was also now surrounded by Minho, Gally and Frypan. All three boys and woman had tears in their eyes or running down their cheeks but stayed silent, unlike Thomas.

"What w-went wrong?" Thomas finally asked though he feared the response.

"Well, " the nurse started, taking a seat next to Thomas, "when the doctors were repairing his tendons, they used buried sutures stitches and Gut sutures. However, two things were wrong with that."

She paused and took Thomas's hand, squeezing it gently in hers, "The first was that the actual repairing of muscle and tissue was all wrong. So bad that it could have caused nerve damage.

And secondly, the doctors should have used Polydioxanone sutures but made the mistake of using Gut."

The nurse stopped talking briefly before thinking twice about it and adding, "Don't worry, a mess up like this is very rare and your friend has just been very unlucky. The doctors will be disciplined for their mistakes."

After a long pause of silence, only disrupted by sniffles, Thomas found his voice, "Is he gonna' be okay, though?"

"It's hard to tell, Thomas, but hopefully he'll be fine through this surgery and will recover fully."

"Come on, mate, let Nurse Jones get back to work. I know it's hard, but there's nothing we can do." Minho said.

"Actually, this wasn't the only reason I came to talk to you, though it's the most important, " the lady said, suddenly gaining a professional demeanour, "I need your friend's details for, you know, health records. Of course, most of it should be filled in by a parent or carer, if you can get a hold of one."

Minho pulled out his phone, "I'll call his mom."

Nurse Jones smiled as she stood up, watching Minho move away to make the call. She motioned for Thomas and the other two boys to follow her over to the main desk, where a very bored looking male receptionist tapped at his keyboard. He looked up, his green eyes sparkling with interest as he observed the nurse and boys in front of him.