Chapter: 17~ Baby steps

Thomas made it back to the hospital at about ten o'clock and when he first stepped into Newt's room, he thought the blond was asleep. However, as he walked in and started towards the bed, smiling at Newt's mother as he went, the boy spoke suddenly, still with his eyes closed.
"Hey, Tommy."

The confusion caused Thomas to stop in his tracks, "How did you know it was me?"

"Don't really know, I could just tell, " Newt said when he opened his chocolate brown eyes and looked at Thomas.

"Fair enough."

Walking around to the opposite side of the bed from Mrs Wright, Thomas stood as he smiled down at Newt. They stared at each other, not saying anything for a long while. All Thomas wanted to do was kiss Newt but he didn't know if he should in front of the boy's mother. Instead, he smiled even brighter, trying to work out what to say.

"What?!" Newt asked, trying not to smirk.

"I don't know. I suppose I'm just glad you're okay, " Thomas said, still beaming brightly but his smile wavered before he asked, "You are feeling okay, aren't you?"

Newt hummed unsurely, "The painkillers are helping but I'm starting to notice the throbbing in my legs and back. I think having mom and you here is helping, though."

After Newt's last comment, Thomas' smile reappeared as strong as before, "Happy to help," he said sarcastically,

Newt groaned in distaste but didn't stop grinning as Thomas apologised and changed the subject. They ended up talking for nearly an hour, Newt's mom joining in occasionally or adding a snarky comment to the mix. That was until three people unexpectedly arrived and their conversation was abruptly ended.

Minho, Frypan and Gally came charging in, smiling when they saw Newt looking better than when they'd left him. There were greetings exchanged and laughs as the small crowd surrounded the blond. Newt looked slightly overwhelmed but welcomed his friend's concern, glad to have such caring ones in his life.

"Hey, Newt, when are you going to be discharged from the hospital?" Minho asked suddenly, raising his eyebrows in genuine curiosity.

"I don't know, " Newt said, frowning, "Mom?"

"From what I've heard, it could be a week or more, but there's no need to rush your recovery. Your school work can be brought to you." Newt's mother concluded.

Newt nodded but didn't look happy about it and Thomas knew why. He didn't like not being able to look after himself and didn't like other people having the extra baggage of caring for him. It probably made him feel bad and Thomas realised he'd have to tell Newt differently when they were alone. That it was the doctors and nurses job to look after people in need and Newt wasn't doing anything to inconvenience them.

So instead, Thomas changed the subject, which he seemed to be doing a lot recently, and gave Newt a look that said he wanted to speak to him alone but not just yet. In the meantime, the group talked, laughed and played games to pass the time for Newt.

"Okay, I have a really important question, " Gally said, "when you were little, what did you want to be when you are older? And why?"

Everyone spoke up all at once, the noise becoming a cacophony, until Thomas quietened the group down, "Why don't we all speak but one at a time, instead. I'll start.
"I wanted to be an astronaut and I suppose it was just a kid thing. I definitely don't want to be on now."

"Well, I wanted to be a doctor and still do, " Gally said.

Next in line was Frypan, "I thought I was an amazing cook when I was younger, so wanted to be a chef and it turns out I was pretty good at cooking."