Chapter One: Overcoming Obstacles

🥀

(REVISED VERSION)

MICHELLE'S eyes widened in disbelief as she saw the towering stack of paperwork piled high on her desk. She rubbed her temples in frustration, trying her best not to let out a scream of annoyance.

It had only been two months since she started working at Glow and Go Cosmetics, but it already felt like an eternity. Mrs. Stewart, the strict owner, had a way of making even the simplest task feel like climbing Mount Everest. Michelle knew better than to say no to her demanding boss; she could be fired at the drop of a hat.

Taking a deep breath, Michelle picked up the first piece of paper and got to work. She answered client queries and sorted through incoming mail, all while keeping an eye on the clock.

She struggled to keep her eyes open as the day dragged on, fighting off the urge to nod off at her desk. Finally, she finished the last piece of paper and stretched her aching arms, letting out a long yawn.

"Thank goodness that's over," she muttered to herself.

After filing away the last document in Column D of her small locker, Michelle grabbed her bag and headed out of the building. She looked up at the darkening sky and took a deep breath, reminding herself why she had taken this job in the first place. Despite the exhaustion and stress, she knew that it was all worth it when she thought of her family.

Michelle fished her car keys out of her bag and climbed into the driver's seat. As she started the engine and drove away from the office, she couldn't help but feel a sense of relief wash over her. Another day down, she thought, and hopefully, tomorrow would be a little easier.

As she walked through the front door, Michelle spotted her younger brother, Kevin, hunched over the living room rug, engrossed in a video game. She approached him and slid her arm around his shoulder. "Looks like it was worth buying that stuff anyway," she said. Scanning the room, she raised an eyebrow. "Where's Mom?"

Without taking his eyes off the screen, Kevin replied, "Market."

Michelle withdrew her arm and nudged Kevin's shoulder. "You're too focused on that game. You should have gone with Mom while I was at work."

When Kevin didn't respond, she shoved his shoulder again, causing him to lose the game and scowl at her.

Michelle waggled her eyebrows and laughed at his reaction. In response, Kevin grabbed a throw pillow from the sofa and hurled it at her. She threw her arms out in front of her, palm up, and chuckled. "Hey, stop it!"

He grabbed the second pillow and threw it, causing her to fall backward onto the floor. Michelle lay there, staring up at the ceiling, taking a deep breath to calm herself. Kevin sat down beside her, also staring up at the ceiling.

"I miss Dad so much," Michelle said softly.

Kevin turned his head to look at her, seeing the sadness in her eyes. Their father had died in a car accident two years ago, and it was the most depressing moment of their lives. Moving on had been a hard choice for both of them.

"Me too," Kevin said, biting his lower lip. "He was a great father, and I won't ever forget how kind he was."

For a moment, silence enveloped them. But then the door opened and their mother, Martha, walked in carrying bags of groceries. Kevin took the bags from her and headed into the kitchen. Michelle helped her mother sit down on the sofa and gave her a glass of water.