Chapter Seven: Under the Streetlamp

🥀

(REVISED VERSION)

ZACH walked into the bar, his brow furrowed in frustration. He slumped onto a stool at the bar and ordered a whiskey. He knocked back the drink in one gulp, letting out a deep sigh.

A woman approached and took a seat next to him. Zach glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. She ordered a drink and shot him a sly grin.

As he drank, Zach felt her gaze on him, and it made him uneasy. He tried to ignore her, but she spoke up.

"I've seen you around before," she said. "You're that guy who got turned down in the park a few days ago, right?"

Zach's jaw clenched. He remembered the humiliating incident all too well.

"Yeah, that was me," he muttered.

The woman leaned in closer. "What's a guy like you doing in a place like this?"

Zach scoffed. "Just drowning my sorrows, I guess."

The woman laid a hand on his arm. "Well, maybe I can help with that."

Zach turned to her, his eyes narrowed. "I don't need your help."

The woman leaned in and whispered in his ear, "I think you do."

Zach hesitated for a moment before giving in to the temptation. He pulled her close and kissed her deeply. When he pulled away, he was breathless.

But his elation was short-lived. When he looked at the woman again, he realized she wasn't the one he was hoping for. His heart sank.

"You're not her," he said, his voice heavy with disappointment.

The woman looked at him with confusion. "Not who?"

Zach sighed. "Nobody, nevermind."

The woman looked at him with concern. "Are you okay?"

Zach shook his head. "No, I'm not. I just need to forget about her for a while."

The woman nodded sympathetically. "I get it. Love can be a real pain in the ass sometimes."

Zach let out a bitter laugh. "You're telling me."

The woman leaned in and touched his face. "You know, you're a good-looking guy. There are plenty of women out there who would kill to be with you."

Zach smiled wryly. "Yeah, but I only want one."

The woman next to him rubbed his back soothingly. "May I know who is this lucky girl?"

He took another swig, his eyes distant. "We were classmates, and I followed her to this city. I love her, but she can't see that. I messed up her reputation with Mrs. Stewart so that I could pretend to help her. She never wanted me around."

The woman's brow furrowed in sympathy. "You've been trying so hard. If I were her, I would be grateful for your attention."

He raised an eyebrow in surprise. "Really?"

"Of course," she murmured, leaning in to whisper in his ear. "Let me buy a wig and dress up like her. We can have some fun."

She licked his earlobe, then stood up and winked at him before walking out the door.

🥀

The woman lay on the bed with a white sheet draped over her body, watching as he dressed. He fastened his belt and buttoned his shirt before turning to face her.