Chapter Four: Comfort In The Storm

🥀

(REVISED VERSION)

MICHELLE sat on the couch, gazing out the window as the storm outside intensified. The hospital room felt cold and sterile, amplifying the heaviness she carried inside. Her thoughts raced back to yesterday's visit with the doctor. She remembered the sinking feeling in her stomach as she listened to the diagnosis. Her mother's condition had worsened, and there was nothing more the doctors could do.

When the doctor entered the room, Michelle braced herself for the worst. She tried to keep her composure as he spoke, but the news hit her hard. Stage four cancer. No cure. The weight of it all felt suffocating.

As the rain outside grew heavier, her brother Kevin arrived with some food and clothes for their mother. Michelle felt a glimmer of hope return as she watched him unload the items.

"Did you bring her favorite sleeping clothes?" Michelle asked.

"Of course," Kevin replied. "I know how much those mean to her."

Michelle managed a small smile, grateful for her brother's thoughtfulness.

As Kevin opened the fast food containers, he tried to lift Michelle's spirits. "Mom's a fighter. She's not going anywhere."

Michelle's eyes welled up with tears, but she nodded, determined to be strong. She watched as Kevin walked over to their mother's bedside, placing his hand on hers. Michelle joined them, taking her mother's other hand.

"She's going to make it," Kevin said, his voice full of conviction.

Michelle took a deep breath, feeling the warmth of her family's hands intertwined. Despite the fear and uncertainty, she felt a fierce sense of strength rise within her. No matter what happened, she would be there for her mother and her brother, fighting alongside them every step of the way.

🥀

It had been a week since their mother was in the hospital, and she never stopped believing that her mother would be okay soon. But, the condition was getting worse as days passed by. Martha was coughing blood more harshly and violently, and she was always out of breath most of the time.

Michelle wasn't herself when she attended to her work and never talked to her workmates. Zach noticed this and started worrying over her condition, so he decided to bring up a topic, but she refused and remained silent.

"Hey, Michelle, is everything okay? You seem upset lately," Zach asked, his voice filled with concern.

Michelle's face hardened at the sound of his voice. She remembered all too well the time he had harassed her, and the thought of talking to him made her angry.

"What do you want, Zach?" she spat out. "Are you here to harass me again?"

Zach looked taken aback by her words. "What? No, I just wanted to check on you. I know we've had our differences, but I'm genuinely concerned about you and your family."

Michelle softened slightly at his words, but the memory of his past actions kept her guard. "Well, thanks for your concern, but I don't need anything from you," she said coldly.

Zach looked hurt, but Michelle didn't care. She had been through enough already, and she didn't want to deal with any more drama from him. She turned away and continued on her way, determined not to let him get to her.

That day, Mrs. Stewart said some hurtful things to her, but Michelle pretended that she was okay with it. Deep down, she could resist all of her words, just for her mother's sake, who was suffering in the hospital.

After her shift, Nathan offered to buy her a cup of coffee at the shop near their office. As they sat across from each other, Nathan could sense that something was troubling Michelle.

"You can tell me your problems, Michelle. I'm here for you," he said, reaching out to hold her hand.

Michelle appreciated his concern and support. Despite knowing each other for only a short time, she felt comfortable with him. His presence gave her a sense of safety and ease.

"Thanks, Nathan," she said, grateful for his offer. "It's just... it's hard for me to talk about it."

Nathan nodded. "I understand. But I want you to know that I'm here for you, no matter what."

Michelle appreciated Nathan's understanding and care. She knew that she could trust him. She took a deep breath before she spoke.

"My mom has stage four cancer," she said, her voice breaking. "I can't lose her, too. After what happened to my dad, I don't think I can handle being alone again."

Nathan listened attentively as Michelle shared her fears and worries. He could see the pain in her eyes and wished he could take it away. He squeezed her hand gently.

"You're not alone, Michelle. I'm here for you," he said, reassuringly. "We'll get through this together."

Michelle felt a sense of comfort in Nathan's words. She looked at him gratefully, and they sat in silence for a few moments, both lost in their thoughts.

After a while, Nathan broke the silence. "You know, Michelle, I'm really glad that we met. I feel like we have a connection."

Michelle smiled at him, feeling the same way. "Me too, Nathan. You've been such a great friend to me."

Nathan's heart skipped a beat at the mention of the word "friend". He knew that he wanted more than just friendship with Michelle, but he didn't want to scare her off by confessing his feelings too soon.

As they finished their coffee, Nathan walked Michelle to her car. "Do you want me to come with you to the hospital?" he asked, hoping to spend more time with her.

Michelle thought about it for a moment before nodding. "I would like that," she said, feeling grateful for Nathan's company.

As they drove to the hospital, they talked about their families and interests, and Nathan made Michelle laugh with his silly jokes. Michelle couldn't help but feel a growing fondness for Nathan.

When they arrived at the hospital, they made their way to her mother's room. But when they got there, they were surprised to find several doctors inside.

🥀

Author's note: Thank you so much for giving my book a try! Vote and comment if you liked the chapter so far!

-creepy_stalker199