Chapter Five: The Weight of Loss

🥀

(REVISED VERSION)

AS Michelle walked into her mother's room, she felt a sense of dread. She saw the doctor and nurse standing beside her lifeless mother, with her brother Kevin hugging her tightly. The only sound in the room was Kevin's sobs, and the air was filled with an overwhelming sense of loss.

As Nathan tried to comfort her, Michelle slowly approached her mother and gazed at her still form. Her eyes started to fill with tears, but she forced herself to hold them back and put on a brave face.

"Mom? Mom?" she whispered, shaking her mother's foot, but there was no response. "Mom, please wake up," she begged, her voice breaking.

Kevin released his grip on Martha's body and turned towards Michelle, his eyes full of tears. "She's gone," he said, his voice shaking.

Michelle couldn't comprehend the enormity of what had just happened. She turned to the doctor and pleaded, "Please, tell me what happened?"

"I'm sorry, Ms. Wright. Your mother didn't make it," the doctor replied, his voice heavy with sorrow.

At that moment, a dam of tears burst from Michelle's eyes, and she crumpled to the floor, her heart shattered. She tried to wake her mother up by tapping her face, but it was no use. Martha was gone forever.

Michelle recalled the times when her family was happy, and her dad was still alive. The memory of his death was still fresh in her mind, and now her mother was gone too. She had always promised herself that she would be there for her family, but she never imagined she would have to face a world without her mother's warmth and love.

As she wept uncontrollably, Nathan rubbed her back to soothe her pain. Michelle cried, her face buried in her mother's neck, praying for a miracle. She begged her mother to wake up and stay with her a little longer.

But it was too late. As Michelle stared at her mother's lifeless form, her breaths became more shallow, and she fell to the ground, hyperventilating in shock and grief.

🥀

"I still can't believe it."

Michelle turned her eyes to Kevin when he said that, staring right at the grassy ground where her mother's grave was. She placed the basket of fresh flowers on it and wrapped her arm over his shoulder, giving him a warm smile.

"Me too," she said, her voice low but steady. "But we have to keep moving forward, Kevin. It's what mom would want us to do."

Kevin nodded, a sad smile on his face. "Yeah, you're right. She was always the strong one."

Michelle smiled, a hint of sadness still in her eyes. "We'll be strong for her now."

After a few more minutes, they decided to leave the cemetery. Michelle headed to work, while her brother returned home.

It had been five months since her mother died, and it still pained her to the core to remember the past they had once shared. That same day, she couldn't remember anything because she only found herself in a hospital room, and the doctor said she fainted.

A few weeks later, Nathan convinced Mrs. Stewart to give her another chance at work, and Michelle was grateful for it. As she finished her work that day, Mrs. Stewart's assistant told her that the woman wanted to speak to her in private in the office. Without hesitation, Michelle said yes and proceeded into the office, meeting the five months pregnant woman sitting on her chair.

"Have a seat, Ms. Wright." Her eyes followed Michelle's every move until she sat on a seat across Mrs. Stewart's table. "My assistant reported to me that you're doing a great job for the past five months, which made me shocked."

She smiled. "Thank you, Mrs. Stewart."

The woman raised her brow while rubbing her baby bump. "But I'll be straight to the point, I don't like you. It'll be hard for you to work knowing that someone's disliking you. If I were you, I would quit."

Michelle felt a twinge of fear in her chest, but she didn't let it show on her face. "I'm sorry to hear that, Mrs. Stewart. May I ask what I did to cause you to dislike me?"

Mrs. Stewart's expression turned cold. "I believe you shouldn't question me about that. Just quit."

Michelle took a deep breath and composed herself before speaking. "I understand your decision, Mrs. Stewart, and I respect it. I am grateful for the opportunity you gave me to work here and gain experience. I would like to assure you that I have been professional and dedicated to my work throughout my time here."

She paused for a moment before continuing. "As you said, it may be difficult for me to work knowing that someone dislikes me. Therefore, I have decided to resign, effective immediately. I will send my resignation letter to you later today."

Michelle stood up and extended her hand for a handshake. "Thank you for the experience and the knowledge I gained while working here. I wish you all the best for the future, including your upcoming addition to the family."

Mrs. Stewart hesitated for a moment before accepting Michelle's hand. "I appreciate your professionalism, Michelle. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors."

With a small smile, Michelle turned and walked out of the office, feeling a sense of relief mixed with disappointment. She knew it was the right decision to resign, but it still stung to be let go due to someone's personal feelings. She reminded herself that she had to keep moving forward and find a new opportunity.

Michelle got home that day and found her brother sitting on the couch, watching a TV program.

"Hey, how's your day? I made some lasagna a while ago. I left some in the-" he began to say before he noticed the distress on her face. "Hey, what's wrong? You look like you've seen a ghost."

Michelle wiped her cheeks and sat down next to him, her fingers fidgeting in her lap. She struggled to find the words to describe the conversation she'd had with Mrs. Stewart.

After a moment of silence, she took a deep breath and spoke up. "Mrs. Stewart let me go today. She doesn't think I'm the right fit for the job."

Kevin's eyes widened in shock. "What? That's ridiculous! You've been doing great work for her. She's just being difficult."

Michelle shrugged. "I guess she just didn't like me. But it's okay. I'll find something else."

Kevin put his arm around her and gave her a comforting squeeze. "Of course, you will. And you know what? I just got hired for a part-time job yesterday. While I'm working, you can focus on finding a better job. You'll find something even better than that witch's office."

Michelle's eyes brightened at her brother's words, and a smile crept onto her face. "Thanks, Kev. You always know how to make me feel better."

Kevin grinned. "That's what brothers are for. Plus, now we can tease Mrs. Stewart about how we're both gainfully employed, while she's stuck with her sour attitude and terrible coffee."

Michelle laughed and playfully punched Kevin's arm. "You always know how to put things into perspective."

They sat together in comfortable silence, watching the TV program as the smell of lasagna filled the room. Despite the setback, Michelle knew that with her brother's support and her determination, she would find the perfect job for her.

🥀