Chapter Two: When The Past Comes Knocking

🥀

(REVISED VERSION)

AS they arrived home from their morning routine, Michelle led her mother to the sofa and they both sat down. Martha wiped the sweat off her forehead with the back of her hand.

"Exercise in the morning is good, but I'm exhausted Michelle," she said.

"Mom, the doctor said that you have to exercise regularly," Michelle replied.

Martha didn't respond and remained silent. Kevin walked downstairs with his backpack, interrupting the silence.

He approached them and kissed their cheeks. "Take care of mom, okay? I chopped some fruits earlier and made some fruit shakes. They're in the fridge."

Martha's eyes sparkled with happiness, though she wasn't smiling. "Thank you, son. I'm really lucky to have you and your sister."

"Anything for our mother. Before I go, don't you have work today, Michelle?" he asked.

She shook her head. "It's my day off today, so I can take care of Mom for sure."

"That's good. Well, I should go to school because I'm late."

Martha beamed and held his hand, squeezing it lightly. "Be careful at school, okay?"

He passed her an assuring smile and replied, "For you, Mom, I will. See you later, ladies."

As Kevin left, Michelle chuckled. "He can light up the mood."

"Just like your dad," Martha said.

The silence that followed was heavy. Martha bit her lip and looked at her daughter with an apologetic expression.

"I'm sorry," she said, giving her a warm smile. She changed the subject by asking, "By the way, do you still remember your childhood friend? What's her name again?"

"Mom, I haven't had any news from her since we left Canada fifteen years ago," Michelle said as she stood up and headed to the kitchen.

Martha followed her and saw Michelle pouring some fruit shakes into glasses.

She handed one to her mother and sat on a stool. "Her name is Golden if I'm not mistaken. We were like siblings when we were ten."

As Martha sipped her fruit shake, memories of Michelle's childhood friend flooded her mind. She suddenly smiled to herself when she remembered that Kevin had a crush on the girl when he was just five years old.

However, since they moved away, they lost touch with Golden. The girl's mother was strict and made it difficult for Golden to leave the house without finishing her chores.

"Are you okay, Michelle?" Martha asked, noticing her daughter's distant look.

Michelle snapped out of her thoughts when her mother waved her hand in front of her face.

As she nodded, Martha sighed and finished her fruit shake.

🥀

Michelle decided to go to work for the next three days since Kevin was there to take care of their mother. As the elevator doors opened, she strode towards her desk, only to find a pile of papers waiting for her. Emitting a long-suffering sigh, she began to sort through them.

While on duty, her coworker Zach approached her desk, flashing a smile that would make any woman weak at the knees. Michelle forced a fake smile and averted her gaze.

"Hello, Michelle. I heard your mother is sick."

She nodded without looking at him and continued working. Zach sighed and ran his fingers through his hair, trying to play up his concern.