Come back

I watch as she start to walk away

"Don't go!" I cry, tears slipping down my cheeks. "I was wrong, I do need you in my life!"

Joy turned, and looked at me again. "Yet you tell you friends that you won't allow yourself to feel me. And now that you've lost some of those friends, you suddenly want me? That doesn't seem very fair, now does it?"

I shook my head frantically. "No! I was wrong, I shouldn't have said those things. Please, please don't leave me. I can change, I promise!" I was begging now, something I had never done when it came to her. "Please..."

She sighed, and look off into the distance again. "Goodbye, Cassia. Maybe someday we'll meet again. When you've earned me, I'll come back."

And then she left.
The world flickered, and dimmed.
I was left alone in the darkness.

"Alone?"

"Don't be daft, Cassia

"Don't be daft, Cassia. The option I offered so long ago is still available."

I glanced up in fear; I knew that voice. She called herself Cassia, but I knew that truth. "I won't become you." I snapped weakly. "I may have lost joy, but I won't allow you to take over. Not again."

She simply grinned, a triumphant expression on her face. "Oh, little one. You already have. You just need to see it~"

A mirror materialized in front of me, and to my despair, the face looking back at me was not my own.

"It's time to stop trying, Cassia." she whispered, a hand on my shoulder. "Give in."