Another Life

What is this, my 184th cycle...?

Who can even tell anymore, it's been so long.

     I suppose an introduction is in order.

  Hail and well met.
Wait, no. You all say 'Hello' or 'Hi' this cycle, I'd forgotten.

Well, anyways, Hi. My name this cycle is Cass, or as some of you know me, Cassia.

I currently reside in a 19 year old female body, in an apartment with this human's little sister.

Yet, they feel familiar to my soul. Perhaps we were sisters in one of my many other cycles.

Regardless.

This cycle... Has been strange. There's so many new things, T.V, cellphones, cars. Why, even the way I'm telling my story to you is new. Once recorded with quill and ink by flickering candlelight, now black against white blooms on a screen small enough to fit in my hand that produces its own light...

Sometimes, I get glimpses of my past cycles. In dreams, in memory, in odd places I swear I've been before.

A sense of deja vu, almost, follows me around when I visit the countryside. The soft lowing of the cows brings flashes of winter nights, milking my own cow in a freezing cold shed so my family could have something to eat that night.

     The rough wood grain of my carving pushing me along the path of memory when I was but a simple boy, in training to be a carpenter like my father before me, and his father before him.

The wind, running round the house, hungrily seeking out any cracks, sends me back to a time when my log cabin wasn't built quite properly, and I froze to death one bitter winter's eve.

     The rough fur of my dog sends me back to when I was part of a wolf pack myself. A female beta, running alongside my mate in our hunt for food to being back to the pack.

     The sun's warm glow, reminding me of when I was but a flower, reaching for the life giving light above, even as my roots stretched down in search of water.

     And yet... Living cycle after cycle, with new challenges every time, new obstacles, things changing for better or for worse, I can honestly say I hope it never stops.

Heaven, Hell, who knows?
I'll see you in my next life regardless.