Chapter One | Coming Home

Zipping up my last suitcase, I grab a picture frame off my desk. It's of me and my brother hugging in front of a waterfall, He was pulling my pigtails, and I rolling my eyes.

"I miss you Roman"

Smiling, I put the picture back, Grabbing my suitcase handle I roll it out of my room and head downstairs, Sarah my roommate and best friend is sitting at the bar eating cereal lifts her head watching me descend the staircase. "Leaving already?"

"Yes, my flight leaves soon. I'm gonna miss you." I say smiling. How I'll cope without her, I'm not sure as she's been my rock for the past few years.

"I'm gonna miss you too Ellie, and I'm so sorry about your mother's diagnosis." Watching her face grow sad, I pull her into a hug.

"Don't be sad, I'll call and text as much as I can!" Pulling her up into a standing position, I grab her hands and spin in circles with her causing Sarah to burst into a fit of giggles that cause me to join in.

"Stop that, you're gonna make me throw up and then you'll miss your flight home." she says while bending over holding her stomach.

Laughing I gather my things and say goodbye.

Sitting down on the plane I get as comfortable as I can, but thankful I have a window seat. Putting my earphone's in I bring out my laptop and start working on documents for work while occasionally glancing out the small window watching as the white fluffy clouds pass by. A small hand pats my shoulder and I take my earphones out of my ears turning in my seat.

"Dear" a sweet elderly lady says.

"Yes ma'am?" I question.

"What brings you to Georgia? She asks

"I'm coming home to see my family" I say softly, smiling. "How about yourself?"

"It's my husband and I's 50th wedding anniversary. I'm coming back to see him."

Scrunching my eyebrows in confusion I don't see an elderly man with her.

"He died 6 years ago dear, we buried him here in Savannah, Georgia." She supplies at noticing my confused look.