Chapter 7 | Roman

You would have thought I told my mother Banner died by the look on her face at the mention of Roman.

Tightening my grip on her hand I ask her again. "Roman mama, have you heard from him since he left?"

She switches our hand position as she's now holding my hands "Yes actually, he wrote me from the Rehab facility he was in last year." Shock fills my body. Roman in rehab?

"Rehab? Did he say why he was in rehab?"

"Oh Ellie, after you're father died Roman had drinking problems. It got so bad that I asked him to stop or leave, he was going to drink himself to death. You see he chose to leave instead."

I missed so much, I was too consumed with self hate after dad died I didnt realize what was happening at home. Wiping away my tears and hers I pull her into a hug.

"I'm so sorry, I didnt realize. I didnt even know." I cry into her shoulder.

"It's okay Ellie, You were going through so much yourself, I'm sorry I couldn't help you too back then." She says while rubbing my back soothingly.

Pulling back "So Roman got help then if he's in Rehab? " I question brokenly.

"Yes, he found a nice girl named Riley. He said she helped him into getting sober." I'm so glad he got help, maybe hopefully he'll come back home soon.

"Do you know when he'll get out?"

"No, he hasn't said. Hopefully soon though."
Nodding my head that brings me to another thought.

"Does he know you have cancer, mama?"
Sighing she shakes her head no.

" I want to keep it secret from him, it could bring her back to drinking and I'd rather not drive him to that." She admits.

Understanding what she means I look out over the pond at the maple trees, it's a beautiful time of year and the trees show it.

Looking at my watch I see it's about one now, I'd like to stay home with mama but I'm missing Killian at the same time.

Sighing I turn to mama only to have her say "How about you invite Killian over for dinner this evening Ellie, then you can leave with him tonight?"

"How did you know?" I ask flabbergasted.

"I always know, you two were attached at the hip years ago. Don't think I dont know about you sneaking out late at night years ago." She laughs.

"What? And you let me?" I sputter

"Of course I did, I'd be lying if I said I never snuck out to see your father." She scoffs.

Giggling I stand up pulling her with me. "Then you know about Oliver leaving early this morning?"

"Yes I do, I'm sure you teased Alexis about it already?" She joins me in laughter.

"I sure did."

We walk back to the house to see Alex walking down the staircase looking freshly showered. Smiling mischievously I decide to tease her " I ran into Oliver walking out the door this morning, his hair was sticking up everywhere." I try and keep from laughing as Alexis's eyes seem to pop out of her head and her jaw drops.

"Oh Ellie stop teasing your sister." Mama giggles.

"Ellie!" Alex screams at me, chasing me around the house and into the kitchen.

"Okay, okay I couldnt help it" i grin.

"You are so bad." She pouts.

This chapter is a filler, but you finally know about Roman now.