Chapter 9

A couple of weeks have passed since we all got together for dinner. Killian and I are still doing great but as the days go by I sense tension between us. Of course it's because our relationship is up in the air since I haven't decided if I'll go back to California or not.

Sighing as I sit on Alex's bed, I'm back home because Alexis wanted some help picking out an outfit for her date with Oliver this evening. You see, she believes he's going to propose. Apparently they have been dating for 6 months now and it's their anniversary.

That brings me back to Killian and I, I want to stay I really do. But what do I do with my Job and life back in California? Throwing myself back on the bed I grab a pillow and hold onto it.

"Hey look at this dress..." Alex emerges from the bathroom obviously seeing me sulking.

Sitting back up I look at her, she's wearing an off the shoulder light washed blue Jean dress with brown cowboy boots. It's actually warm today so I'm sure it won't be a problem, the dress shows off her curves and highlights her collarbones perfectly. "Its beautiful Alex" I say smiling at her.

"Thank you, now what has you so upset?" She sits down on the bed beside me playfully hitting my shoulder with hers.

"Killian and I are tense, he asked me a couple weeks ago when we all had dinner if I was staying for good.... and I told him the truth, that I wasn't sure." I exclaim!

Grabbing her hand "What do I do?" I beg my older sister for an answer.

Alexis sighs "Ellie, I can't give you an answer. You have to do what makes you happy."

Groaning I fall back on the bed again, obviously not happy with her answer.

"I'm sorry, but don't pout Ellie. Come on curl my hair for me please." She pulls me up as I glare at her playfully. I ended up doing her hair.

Later that evening after Oliver came and got Alex, I'm sitting outside with mama on the dock. I asked her about Killian and I's situation and she supplied the same answer Alexis had.

Looking at the maple trees, half the leaves are already on the ground. Frowning I think of a popular quote "The trees are about to show us how lovely it is to let things go."

Sighing I contemplate that. What do I let go?

Walking back inside I grab my cell to call Killian to tell him I'll be sleeping here tonight, deciding I'll think about my future.

Dialing his number he picks up on the first ring making me smile "Hello?" His deep voice comes over the line.

"Hey, I just called to tell you I was gonna sleep here tonight."

A few seconds go by and I don't get a reply. Frowning I check to see if the call ended but it's still going. "Hello?"

" I heard." He says roughly.

Taken aback at the hostility in his voice I make sure I called the right number. Sure enough it's his number. "Okay, I miss you." I say softly...guessing he had another rough day, he had hired new ranch hands and they were new to the whole thing.

I hear him sigh,"I gotta go Ellie." And the line goes dead.

Tears instantly spring to my eyes, spilling down my cheeks. Checking the time I see its 9pm and Alex isn't back home yet. Walking to mama's room I see she's just now lying in bed.

Knocking on the open door, she takes one look at my tear streaked face and beckons me to come lay down.

Lying down she wraps me up in her arms and that breaks me even more. Bawling I hold onto my mother like she's my lifeline.

Sometimes you just need mama.