Look Beneath The Floorboards

"Is it too late for me to chicken out now?" I asked Greg as we pulled into the drive at Mikito's house.

"Yes Miks." Greg laughed simply as he climbed out of the car and waited for me. I groaned, rested my head on the steering wheel and then slowly made my way towards the path. Greg stopped me and took my hands in his, a soft smile on his handsome face. "You'll do fine. It'll be okay." He whispered, tilting my head to look him in the eyes before kissing me softly. I smiled and found myself surging with a confidence that soon faded when my mom opened the door.

"Would you like some lemonade?" Mikito asked when we took a seat in the Japanese style garden that Anthony was paid pretty decent money to keep in full bloom throughout the year.

"No thanks. Actually I need to talk to you both." I took a deep breath and saw Greg silently reassuring me with a tight smile.

"Good heavens, she's pregnant!" My mom clapped her hands to her mouth and gasped. For a second, I could’ve sworn that tears filled her eyes too.

"Wha--no!" I cried out, ignoring Greg trying to muffle his suppressed laugh with a cough.

"You are getting married?" Mikito broke out into a huge grin and clapped her hands. I could see thoughts of perfect dresses and flowing trains filling her mind almost instantly.

"No. Where are you getting these ideas from?" I asked them both, my eyes wide.

"It is just the natural things we think about given the situation of you wanting to talk and bringing a young gentleman along." Mikito shrugged, not hiding her disappointment.

"What is it then, darling?" My mom rolled her eyes at her friend and sipped her lemonade.

"It's about my job..." I began.

"Oh. The pharmacy?" Mikito perked up, dropping another ice cube into my drink.

"Kind of. You see, I didn't exactly tell you the truth about that." I was trying to find words that would break it to them in the easiest way.

"What do you mean?" My mom asked.

"I'm not a pharmacist, I never was. I--I said that so you wouldn't worry about me."

"Why would we worry?" Mom's voice was filled with fear about what news I was going to break to her.

"Because of my real job. I'm a crime scene investigator here in the city and I know how much you hated my teenage dream of being anything like that. You grounded me for two weeks when I insinuated that I wanted to be a cop." I confessed. Greg slid his hand into mine, squeezing it gently. "I never told you before because I knew that you'd worry about me 24/7." I explained.

"But, why? Why would you do a job such as that? It is such a…nasty thing." Mikito seemed beyond shocked.

"Because it helps people and it makes me feel good ever time we help take a monster off of Vegas' streets. It's really interesting, you work with people, with technology and I like it. It's really nothing to worry about." I explained to them, hoping that they'd understand me.

"But, how can we not worry when you risk your life around murderers and criminals?" Mikito sighed, walking around to speak to me.

"I'm not risking my life. CSI's are very rarely in great danger and we all know how to handle ourselves in the field. I‘ve had extensive training and I still get it every few months." I said slowly, choosing my words carefully.

"But Miki--" Mom’s voice died away, unable to phrase her thoughts, words caught in her throat.

"I know what I'm doing mom and I have great friends like Greg here who help me out when I need it."