Someday We'll Find A Place

The case was so old, the mug shots made me laugh and the big moustache on my father’s face brought  a giggle to my lips every time I saw it. I read the reports over and over, memorising the details of the case, no matter how much if hurt me to read some of the bad things about my dad. I couldn’t let it become too personal though and for that reason, I was thankful that I never knew him. It wasn’t easy though and more and more questions kept popping up.

Why was he in downtown Las Vegas that night? He worked in a casino on The Strip and he lived in an apartment with my mom over towards the eastern suburbs. From the witness statements and the character statements, there was no obvious reason for him to be there.

I had to speak to my mom to see if she could make heads or tails of the case file and the notes within it.

“Miki? Come to bed already.” A very tired looking Greg appeared at the doorway of the small box room we were turning into a study with a sofa bed, just for whenever we had visitors over. It was pretty basic still right now, with just our computer sitting on a modern style desk, a few boxes of things yet to find a home and the frame of the sofa bed; Greg had yet to finish putting it up.

“I’ll be there in a minute.” I said, waving him away as I read over a report again.

“You said that an hour ago.” He walked closer and took the paper from my hand, moving them to the desk. “Look, I know you want to solve this case, but you need to sleep.”

“I’m fine. I just want to look over a few things with my mom.”

“Save them until your day off. You’re not doing yourself or the baby any favours, Miks. Please, come to bed.” I looked up at him with a determined expression. “You need to take care of yourself and I know you better than you think; you’ll work yourself into an early grave unless someone stops you, so -” I squealed as I found myself hoisted into the air and into his arms. “-this is your husband stopping you.” Despite my protests and kicking, Greg carried me into our bedroom and deposited me down on the soft bed, ignoring me as he tucked the duvet around my body and then moved to close the door, jumping back onto the bed and occupying the space next to me. His arm wrapped around my waist and his hand rested on my swollen stomach. “Now sleep.” He instructed.

Normally, with anyone else, I would’ve hit them, climbed from the bed and had a screaming match with them, but Greg looked so adorable when he was sleepy that it really was impossible to argue with him. That, and I suppose he did have a valid point considering we’d both have to wake up in a little over six hours for another night of work. So, with a heavy sigh, I placed my hand over his and wriggled into a comfier position., closing my eyes and smiling as his lips lovingly kissed my shoulder.

Finally, my day off came and whilst Greg snored his pretty little head off, I showered, dressed myself and left, placing a small note on the door of the refrigerator so that he would know where I was when he woke up. The last thing I needed was another rendition of the courtroom and bar fiasco.

“Oh my goodness, sweetheart you’re practically glowing!” My mom greeted me with a big hug and a grin to match. “I’ve never seen anyone take to pregnancy so well.”

I laughed and stepped back slightly. “Calm down mom. Your grandchild isn’t here yet.” I said with a smile as we moved through to the sun lounge of the spacious house. “Where’s Mikito?” I asked, taking a seat on my favourite couch.

“She’s doing a rare house call. Another bridal fitting, but the bride can never find this place and goes into a panic.” My mom waved her hands and rolled her eyes. Another typical day of drama in this household. “So, not that I don’t love seeing my only daughter, but what’s behind this visit?” Her eyes fell on the messenger bag I usually didn’t bring into the house.