The World You Thought You Lived In

"I hate dumpsters." I stated simply, walking back into the labs and dumping some items onto Wendy's desk for her to run the tests that I needed.

"This is why lab work is so much easier than being in the field." She smiled, searching through the evidence bags.

"Yeah, but there's no excitement in it after so long. Believe me, when I came back to work, I wanted nothing more than to get out there and get my hands dirty."

"And routing though people's trash is your idea of excitement?" She laughed at me as she looked at the bagged evidence I had given to her. I pulled a face at her and began to climb out of the vomit covered overalls that were making me feel nauseas now after wearing them for so long. "Seriously Miki, I don't know how you can climb through all that stuff for tiny bits of evidence." Wendy said as she prepared the evidence for the lab equipment.

"Honestly, neither do I. It's only when we get back to the lab do I realise how gross that part of the job is."

"Who were you working with?"

"Nick. Makes you wonder what happened to chivalry and knights in shining armour, eh?"

"I guess it all comes down to it, nobody likes vomit." Wendy shrugged, logging into the computer.

I laughed and tugged at the fingers of my latex gloves, easing them off my hands with a loud snap. I moved to redo the plaits in my hair when Wendy leapt from her swivel seat and grabbed my arms. Her jaw dropped and her eyes were wide. I gave her a confused look, not understanding what she was doing or what she was looking at until I allowed my own soft eyes to travel down.

"You're engaged?!" She practically screamed, looking back up at me, still with wide eyes.

"Yeah, I guess I am." I smiled, remembering the sunrise and all of the blue roses and what came after Greg popped the question.

"You're engaged? Since when?" The tall Texan yanked my hand from Wendy's hold and examined the ring.

"Since this morning. Can I have my hand back please Nick?" I tried to pull my hand from him, my wrist cracking as I tugged.

He let go but looked at me with worried dark eyes. His face suddenly broke out into a grin and he picked me up and spun me around, congratulating me with a noogie. "I never thought Greggo would be the type to settle down. To be honest, I never thought you were the type to settle down." Nick smiled, releasing me.

"Yeah well, I'm always surprising you." I smirked, hitting his arm playfully whilst Wendy went back to her machines and I smoothed my hair down.

"Yeah, and you surprise me a lot. I'm worried it's going to lead to a heart attack someday soon Miki, so you may want to give this old man a break just now." Nick joked.

"That is no way to talk about Grissom. He's not old yet!" I gasped, fooling around.

"I still have that spring in my step yet, do I Miki?" My eyes widened at Grissom's familiar voice.

"You sure do Griss." I smiled, trying to look innocent as I turned around to face him.

"You got anything for the case yet?" He asked the two of us who exchanged a short look.

"I've just given the evidence I found from the dumpsters in the alley to Wendy." I said, speaking up first

"Archie is checking the cameras. He's going to call us when he's cleared the footage." Nick added afterwards.

Grissom nodded and turned to leave. He suddenly paused and turned back, an eyebrow raised at me as he picked up my left hand and glanced at the ring. "Mrs Sanders?" He asked curiously, hiding a smile.