Chapter V

5:03 am

5:03 am

Cassidy and Mike were heading to the door that lead to the Sanatorium, an awkward silence filled the air. Mike couldn't help but take quick glances at her. Cassidy looked through her peripheral vision to see him doing this.

"Cass." Mike broke the silence.

"What?" She questioned as the two continued to walk, the blonde began to pick up the pace as she pointed her flashlight around.

"I wanna talk, about what Josh said, in the shed." Mike told her.

Cassidy stopped walking as she let Mike catch up and he stood right in front of her. Slowly she looked up at him, "Is now really the time?" Cassidy asked him.

"Considering this might be the only chance, yes." Mike told her.

The girl sighed before gesturing Mike to continue. "Is it true? That you-"

"It doesn't matter anymore, especially not now." Cassidy mumbled.

Mike scoffed at her words, "Cass, you matter, okay." He paused for a moment before continuing. "Why didn't you say anything?"

Cassidy looked at him in disbelief, "Um, maybe it was because you were with Emily, or that every girl threw themselves at you even though you were with Emily, or that you decided to break up with Emily because you were now interested in Jessica. That Hannah also had a crush on you, but that ended up getting her killed. That-" she stopped herself before she crossed a line.

"What?" Mike pushed.

"That... you have commitment issues." She said lowly, wishing he didn't ask.

Mike remained quiet as he thought about what she said and couldn't blame her. All of it was all true. He did have a bit of a problem with commitment.

"Sorry, I- I didn't mean to sound insensitive." Cassidy apologized quickly. "I never wanted you to find out especially now, since Jess just- your a good guy, Mike. You don't deserve this any of what has just happened."

"You don't either, Cass. And I know I probably shouldn't say it now, but I did kind of suspected it." Mike told her, Cassidy's head snapped his way, shocked. "I never brought it up, I guess I was waiting for you to, but your too kind-hearted Cass, I knew you'd never do that to Em, despite ya'll two not being buddies back then."

"Look I don't wanna say anything, because you are right about Jess, it wouldn't be fair to her or us. In case tonight would possible be our last night of living. I just wanted you to know that I would've- I want to try with you." Mike finished.