15. Out!

HARRISON

When Harrison reached the glass doors leading inside the Chairman and CEO's Building, he stopped. He breathed deeply, catching his breath. The power was cut everywhere in the BCDC compound, it was protocol to do so if there would be contamination anywhere within the premises. There are hundreds of emergency lights scattered in the entire compound. He snatched the one attached to the wall before the entrance but did not turn it on yet. It was getting late and the day light no longer illuminated the inside of the locked down building before him. He peered inside through the glass door and strained his eyes to see if Natalie was close by. Nothing.

He sighed and swiped the proximity card until he heard a soft "toot". He pushed the door and slowly walked inside. He dared not call out Natalie's name because as much as he loved his daughter, he knew what she had become already. He walked towards the right hallway hesitantly. When he reached the middle part of the hallway, he heard a faint rustling from the end of the passage. The sound was coming from the testing chambers! He stopped in his tracks and stood still, not daring even to breath. The rustling sound became louder and appeared to be getting closer. Harrison's whole body was shaking with fear. There was a figure coming closer to him, but he could not make out the features. He quickly switched on the emergency light in his hand and came face to face with the ultimate horror of his life!

Natalie.

His Natalie. His only daughter and only heiress.

Arms outreaching forward, mouth frothing and gooey black and red liquid dribbling down her chin and neck, staining her once crisp, white linen suit, eyes transluscent and void of any human emotion, Natalie, with neck falling to one side, slowly but surely limped towards his father. Harrison could not move a muscle in his body. He stood frozen, awaiting sure death from the monster in front of him. His consciousness came abruptly back when another movement was heard from his back.

Dr. Monroe!

He held the emergency light tightly in his hand and with every force left in his defeated body and spirit, swung and hit Rachel on the side of her head, causing her to fall onto the stained marble floor. Harrison was about to do the same to Natalie but at the last minute, he saw her as her little girl. And he couldn't hurt his little girl.

He ran towards the entrance with Natalie behind him, and Rachel, managing to get back up although with a broken neck now, close behind.

Harrison swiped his proximity card and without even attempting to secure the glass door shut, fled for his life.

The two women, with no other purpose but to feed on live humans, exited the left open door and went out in the open area leading to the main building.