27. Hoping for a Bad Dream

Claire awoke with a start. She looked outside the tiny window in attic bedroom and found out it is almost dusk. She must have been out the entire day. And she heard her stomach grumbled and realized she hasn't eaten anything for almost 24 hours. Then she remembered what happened to her parents, how they turned into those mindless creatures, eating flesh and roaming about like monsters. She cried again for the nth time for her deceased parents. When her eyes dried up, instinct for survival kicked in. She looked around her room to see if there is anything to eat. She found some crackers in her school bag and a half filled bottle of water. She finished those within seconds. Her eyes fell on her cellphone and hope surged inside of her. She dialled Shirley's number but it rang twice and then came a fast busy tone. She re-dialled again but the connection did not happen. She checked her signal bar and her phone showed one bar. Desperate, she texted Shirley a message telling her everything about BCDC and what happened to her parents and to the entire community. She told her to seek help from anyone in the government and to ask her folks for help. She crossed her fingers and then press "Send". The envelope icon flashed a few times and then her screen registered "Sent". She heaved a sigh of relief and then looked outside the attic window for any sign of survivors. She knew that some of those creatures were her neighbors. But all she saw were more of those mindless monsters roaming about in the streets, in their backyard and mostly everywhere. She went back to her bed and decided to just sleep again, hoping that when she wakes up, it will all just be a sick, twisted, bad dream.

〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰

🌸A/N🌸

Hi everybody! That was a short chapter. Claire is the newest addition to our ranks of protagonists. Thank you to those who appreciated my first attempt at a zombie apocalypse/dystopia story. And don't forget to click on that ⭐️ button before you turn to the next page. Thanks a million!

Tatim