Chapter Six- New Meat

Chapter 6

Effie's POV

"Rise and shine" Harry's voice echoes through the rather empty spare room as I wake up from my sleep. I pull the cover over my head trying to block out the light entering the room when he opens the curtains.
"Get up, Hardy wants to see you" Harry says as I hear him walking around the room. What time even is it? I felt like I had been asleep for all of five minutes.
"Oi-" Harry pulls the cover off me in an instant causing me to shove my head in the pillow groaning. Why the hell is he in here? Why couldn't I just sleep?
"You've got 5 minutes" he says nudging me in the arm with his hand causing me to flinch. I don't know why but I hope he didn't notice. The room falls silent for a second before his footsteps fill the room before the door closes. I sit up in the bed and sigh as I feel the sharp pain in my side hit again.

Hardy wanted to see me. Probably just to check up I would think. Would make sense. I sigh getting up out of bed still wearing the same jumper and joggers Harry gave me. They were way too big. I couldn't wear the clothes I came in because they were covered in my blood. I get up out of bed clutching my side in pain before moving over to the mirror. I lift up the white jumper and my jaw hits the floor in shock at the sight.

Black bruises. Black and purple bruises all along my rib cage. I run my finger along the bruises taking them in as I wince under my own touch. I knew the pain was bad but here was evidence to prove it. I could show Hardy this. I didn't need him to waste his resources and time on me. They had all already done enough. The pain would be bearable. I just had to man up. Like my brothers would say.

I pull the white jumper down over the bruises covering them before opening the bedroom door. I walk down the hallway to the bathroom, taking in my own appearance in the mirror. I didn't look great but I looked better than I did yesterday. I look down at the sink seeing one tooth brush and some tooth paste. Great. I would need to improvise. I squirt the toothpaste onto my index finger before running it around my mouth and teeth intensely. This was kinda disgusting but it had to be done. After I finish brushing my teeth a run the cold water over my face before making my way back down the hallway.

"Harry.." I say when I reach the doorway to the front of the house. I see him sat on the couch reading the same book as he was yesterday. Gosh he was a book worm. I take in his appearance, he was wearing khaki coloured combat pants with a black t-shirt and a dark denim jacket with black boots on.

"What?" He doesn't lift his head up from the book making me feel uncomfortable. I sigh looking down at my attire pulling at the white jumper sleeves awkwardly.

"Do you have any other clothes? These are a little big" I ask him politely as he closes his book throwing it on the coffee table looking up at me. The clothes were fine, they were just way to big. The joggers I had to hold them up with a bobble I had on my wrist from earlier.

"Nope- let's go" he says bluntly before throwing my boots at me to which I catch in my chest causing pain to ring through my rib cage. I wince taking a sharp breath in causing Harry to eye me skeptically. I place the shoes on the floor putting each foot in before tying them slowly. Harry waits for me to finish putting my boots on before he escorts me out the door.

As soon as I walk out onto the porch in front of Harry, the street looks completely different than to what it did yesterday. There were people. So many people. People all that seemed to be around my age or a little older. They all wore the same type of uniform, some wearing it differently than others. Combat pants, black or white t-shirts and a jacket which seemed optional along with black combat boots. They almost looked army like. It was strange.

"Come on, I haven't got all day" Harry pushes me by the back after he locks the door causing me to wince at the pain. He walks in front of me slightly and I follow him down the street as Harry is stared at by pretty much everyone.