Chapter Nineteen- Clouds

Chapter Nineteen

Effie's POV

I lay looking up at the calm blue sky that was being framed perfectly by the green of the trees that towered over me. My lifeless body limp and weak after facing death too many times lately.

My chest heaves up and down as I try catch my breathe, processing what had just happened.

I had too much to process right now- all of which stressed me out to the point where I didn't know where to put myself in this situation. I didn't know what to do or say, think or feel- I didn't feel like me.

I snap out of my dream like state as I feel the dirt shift beside me. I glance over seeing Harry lay on his back, staring up at the clouds. He was out of breathe and looked deep in thought- kinda mimicking my own.

I didn't know what to think.

This man, who I thought hated me, wanted me dead, shot me and told me he didn't trust me, had just saved my life.

Yet I ask myself why?

Why would he do that?
Why didn't he just let me fall?
Why did he try so hard to save me?
Why did he try calm me down into trusting him?
Why did he care?

He cared.

Why did I get this weird feeling in my chest when I thought about the fact that cared?
Why did I care about the fact that he cared? Was it a big deal to say that? I don't know.

"I told you I wouldn't let you fall.." I hear him say breathlessly.

I tilt my head to the side, looking at him as I lay in a mixture of emotions- not knowing what to say or do in the moment.

I watch as the sunlight cascades over his face, sculpting his already chiseled features. His sun kissed skin looked imperfectly perfect as it lit up under the warm tones of the sun. His lips pursed as he inhaled and exhaled heavily still trying to take control of his breathing once again. His broad chest moving captivatingly up and down as I admired him silently.

I couldn't deny the beauty this man possessed, but I don't know if that was really what I was admiring him for.

I put trust in him when I had lost all hope for myself and he proved me wrong. The man I thought him to be clearly wasn't the man he was at all. I didn't know what I felt towards him at this point in time.

"Why did you do that?" I manage to say, my voice coming out as more of a whisper.

I feel my heart racing against the walls of chest, slowing down from the adrenaline than had rushed up on my whole body only moments ago.

I watch as he tilts his head to the side, his gaze meeting mine as he exhales heavily. The green of his eyes matching the backdrop of the forest that towered over him- something I couldn't really take my eyes off of once I had been caught and dragged into a hypnotic state by.

"Why did I do what?" He breathes out softly as his eyes search my own.
He knew what I was asking- and I wanted to know the answers behind it.

"Save me?" I ask clearly this time. 

"It's beginning to become a habit of mine clearly" he laughs lightly shaking his head before looking back up at the clouds. I felt like he almost deflecting my question, like he didn't want to recall what had just happened.

But I didn't agree- this time it felt different.
I felt different.
I just couldn't put my finger on why.

I say nothing- not laughing with him or finding humour in anything. I was just lost in my own thoughts. Letting myself be consumed with different emotions and thoughts that I didn't realise I had.