Chapter Sixteen- That Day in the City

Chapter Sixteen

Effie's POV

I spent the rest of my day in my room, trying to avoid Harry at all costs.

People were asking questions that I didn't want to answer. I didn't know how I was going to even get out of this but I had to.

They couldn't know where I am from- I don't know what they would do to me.

After seeing what happened to the messenger Thomas at the gate, they sure as hell would kill me if I told them the truth.

But how was I to lie?
Would my family ever even find me?
I wonder if they even know I'm missing since that day in the city?

// Flashback //
8 Days Earlier

"Effie grab the ammo" Kit yells to me as I jump out the back of the truck.

I nod as he loads up his guns, I reach for the stack of ammo at the side of the seats before turning around.

"Tate" I catch my brothers attention before throwing him a round of ammo.

Raids in the city were the norm for us now. It was nice being on missions as such with my brothers, Kit and Tate. My older brother Wes only just started letting us go together, I usually was told to stay at home. Kit was two years older than me, Tate was three years older than him and Wes? Fuck me he was older than that by far- he was a brother from my fathers past marriage.

"Alright-" Tate gestures for the team to gather round.

Today was a big raid.

We had five trucks full of different raid teams all aiming towards different goals.

Two teams were collecting medicine and pharmaceuticals from the abandoned shops still left in the city.

One team were on security- looking for any threats such as the rogues or other raid teams from outside of our walls.

And the other two teams, which included our team, were looking for weaponry, ammo or anything that could help protect our home.

We knew the dangers out here but you could never be fully prepared for what was lurking in the mist that draped over the abandoned city.

"We've been through the plan right? Everyone understand where we're heading and the goal at hand?" Tate checks as we gather round.

Our raid team consisted of Tate (who was leading the operation), Kit, Danny, Grace and Myself.

We all nod, loading up our guns and check the rest of our weapons on our belts.

"We move in and we get out fast" Tate starts as the noise of the engine shuts off just as Grace comes around the side of the truck.
"I need eyes in the front for rogues and other potential threats-"

"I'm on it" Danny states and Tate nods in agreement.

"Effie you good securing the back?" Tate asks, giving me a concerned look.

"Sure" I nod as I throw my gun over my shoulder.

"The rest of you are with me" Tate states and the others hum.
"Our main focus is ammo for the hand guns, we're running quite low. But if you think you find anything worth carrying- by all means, bag it up" he informs them further.
"Alright- questions?" He raises a brow at us all.

"Shoot to kill or?" Danny asks.

"Shoot to kill" Tate nods before turning around and heading off in the direction of our target gesturing for the rest of us to follow.
"Don't take any chances" he turns back to us before carrying on.