Chapter 2: Over It!

GIOVANNI ORTEGA

****** November 7, 2017 ******

I sat in court next to Kay sweating from the pain. I still wouldn't admit that I could possibly be in labor. I've had a few episodes of braxton hicks from all the stress so why would it be different now. I shook my head as Dwight questioned their last witness... my best friend.

"So Ms. Sanders, when did you take over the hiring process for The Experience?"

"Maybe six months in when we got our first big contract party"

"Do you still do hiring?"

"No"

"When did you stop?"

"Last year... my little sister moved here and Giovanni wanted to make sure she had a job and could take care of herself"

"You didn't want to help her?"

"My sister pulls at G's heart strings because G doesn't have family. I thought she wouldn't want the job or at least would quit... but she liked it so we've been going strong as a company"

He nodded "So where does Ms. Ortega come in with the hiring process"

"Umm Sariya submits all new hires to G and we review them in a monthly meeting we have. G meets with the herself to make the official offer and sign the contracts"

"Has she ever expressed concern about hiring models from other countries?"

"Not to my recollection"

"I would like to revisit the states exhibit E" Dwight spoke to the judge "There were audio recordings within both my clients office and home. One of which contains a conversation on who my client wanted to hire"

They set up the recording and I watched as Saniya and Sariya stared at each other. I've known them since Saniya and I were eighteen. They were having a silent conversation... they both looked concerned. Dwight said this morning that we had proven my innocents, and it was now time to reveal the set up. I didn't understand until now.

The recording began to play and you could hear me speaking.

"Are you sure about all these new girls" I spoke "I mean yes they are gorgeous, but half of them barely speak English"

"Come on G! You know what it's like being somewhere new and needing a job. They need money just like anyone else"

"Yeah... but why can't we just go for the Harlem, Bronx, Atlanta, LA kinda girls we've been going with? I just feel like why not take care of home. The girls that are struggling to go to school or struggling to start their modeling careers"

"G" Sariya spoke "I get it... but clients want more than just gorgeous now! They want exotic and new"

"I guess"

"Look what can we do to make this sit better with you"

There was a pause before I spoke.

"Let's set up some kind of interpreter or English classes for the ones who don't speak English. I can't function if I can't understand them"

"Yes!" Sariya got louder "That's what I'm talking about G! We got this girl! We are about to take this to a whole new level"

"I'm already at the top Yaya" I could hear the shrug in my voice "What level is next to that?"

"Trust me! You'll see what I mean"

The tape ended and Saniya was straight faced. I shook my head as another cramp hit me and I laid my head down. Dwight continue asking questions and poking wholes in her story. She began to stutter which I knew was a sign of her lying.

I shook my head only to start coughing from the pain which put attention on me. Kay rubbed my back and tried to talk to me but I could respond. The pain was taking my breath away.

"G what's going on?" I raised my head slightly to see Dwight was now in from of me "Are you okay? Talk to me"

I couldn't speak and my vision was getting blurry.

"Your honor we need a recess! My client is having medical issues"

"I'll give you ten minutes. Come to my chambers and we will go from there" she banged her gavel

Kay stood up and tried to help me with Dwight on the other side of me. It was to no avail

KANE CARTER

It all happen so fast. It was like time stopped. Everyone gasped as Giovanni collapsed in her lawyers arm. He screamed for help and for someone to call and ambulance. Parker, myself, and the deputy rushed over to them. The duty called into dispatch for an ambulance immediately. The female attorney was fanning Giovanni talking to her. I moved her hair from her face and checked her pulse. It was week and slow. I cursed under my breath before grabbing her and picking her up. Parker ran out ahead of me and open the door as I rushed outside. I wasn't planning to wait on the ambulance but once we were outside they were pulling up.

I laid her on the stretcher and they rushed to put her in the car. They were asking a bunch of question that the female attorney was throwing answers at.

"Who's riding with her" they asked looked at the four of us

"Detective Carter you should go---"

"Kay!" her attorney looked confused

"If anything happens he is still the father" she turn to me "Go!"

"Go man!" Parker pushed me

I got in the back of the ambulance and watched as they gave her oxygen and began working on her. She started coming in and out of consciousness for a minute only saying "my baby" a few times.

"What's wrong with her?" I asked feeling myself breaking "Is she okay?"

"From what I can see sure she's going into pre-term labor. She's passing out of the pain. She should be fine if we can get to the hospital in time"

"How far---"

"Pulling up!" the guy in the front yelled

"Sir I know you are worried but you have to get out of the way as soon as the doors open. Follow behind and wait for the doctor. A nurse will ask you who you are but you have to move. It is crucial for her and the baby"

I nodded as the ambulance stopped. In seconds the door open to a team of doctors. They got her out and rushed inside. I followed behind just staring at her.

"Sir are you family" a nurse asked me

"No--Yes--Is she okay?"

"We'll do everything we can. Who are you to her?"

"I'm the father" I was zoning back out "My baby"

I was walked to a waiting room where I sat in a chair. It wasn't long before her lawyers and Parker came running inside. They kept asking me questions but I didn't know anything. They finally sat down after my silence and we all just waited. It felt like forever as time moved slower and slower. I leaned against a wall before sliding to the floor. What have I done....