Chapter 3 - Innocent Gates

Chapter 3 - Mariana

I hate him. I hate him I hate him I hate him, thought Mariana, repeating it in her mind angrily. How could my own dad do this to me?! She was that annoyed that she couldn't see reasonably. She was just glad he'd let her keep her Powers. She suddenly realised she was kicking gates and lamposts as she walked along, but she didn't stop. She felt a hand on her shoulder and lashed out, satisfied when her hand made contact with something. She twisted out of the grasp to see a boy, a bit taller than her with sandy coloured hair, rubbing his cheek where she'd hit him, but smiling.

"That hurt," he laughed, but winced when blood appeared from where Mariana's nails had scratched him.

"I'm so sorry," she apologised, "but what were you doing creeping up on me?" she demanded, folding her arms.

"Well, since you were destroying innocent gates and lamposts, I guessed something was wrong," he answered, smiling. Mariana couldn't help feeling butterflies in her tummy when he smiled.

"Uh, yeah. Just a row with my dad, got kicked out," she said, shrugging. The boy was just staring at her. Since the conversation was going nowhere else, Mariana decided to introduce herself.

"Well, I'm Mariana," she said.

"Tom," he said, grinning. "You wanna stay over?" he asked.

"Well, I don't usually go to stranger's houses," she replied, smiling. Tom blushed, remembering they'd only just met. "Anyway, I've already got somewhere to stay," she lied.

"Oh okay. Call me anytime," he said,  handing her a phone number. She took it and put it in her pocket. When she looked up, he was already walking away. She raised one eyebrow, and ran into an alleyway to use her Powers...