Chapter 5 - The New Kitty

Chapter 5 - Tom

As Tom was walking home, he heard a soft purring and felt something on his leg. He looked down to see a night-black cat, with shiny emerald-green eyes staring up at him. She was beautiful. Tom couldn't resist picking her up and stroking her. The cat jumed up onto his shoulder and sat there, her tail swishing happily. He looked around for someone to claim the georgous cat, but no-one did. She stared at him, expectantly, nudging Tom with her pale pink nose as if to say 'get a move on'.

"Well, here we are," he said, stepping inside and gesturing to the small house. Midnight (as Tom had named her) jumped down and observed every detail with her cunning eyes. Whenever Tom looked at her, he felt as if there was something...not right, about this cat. He shrugged it off for the time being. He took out a plate from a cupboard and fed the cat ham because he had no cat food. Midnight hurriedly ate it like she was starving, then went to sit beside Tom on the sofa. She purred and curled up, breathing so softly that Tom kept looking to check that Midnight was still alive.

A little while later, Tom woke up the cat's peaceful sleep. He was holding out an open tin of tuna to her. One glance at the tuna and Midnight hissed, her fur sticking up in fright. Her tail was straight up, not swishing like usual. Tom hurriedly took it away.

She obviously doesn't like that he thought, throwing away the tuna. He went back to the sofa but Midnight wasn't there. Tom noticed the cat stepping gracefully up the stairs, exploring the rooms.