Two.

You pour some milk into a dish and watch as they surround it and start lapping away. They got bigger pretty fast. Their eyes opened not long ago.
Yet they were already mobile enough to mess up the laces on one of your sneakers.
One of them Mews loudly at you, finished before their siblings.
Picking her up, you let her curl up on your chest. You ended up naming them, despite not being sure if you should.
The one cuddled on top of you was candy, named after her super loving demeanor. You even named her twin brother Cotton, so they could be Cotton & Candy. They were both fluffy and white. The two of them were the biggest, though cotton is just a bit bigger then his twin.
And then there was Luco, he was the only one with any black on him. In fact, he was a solid black sort hair with yellow-green eyes. He's the smallest.
Then there was Koi. She's an orange and white short hair calico, she kinda looks like a koi fish, hence the name.
Lastly there's Aroura. Admitted its because she was asleep in your lap throughout the entirety of beauty and the beast.
She's a fluffy dark brown kitten with red undertones in her fur. She sleeps a lot, but she's still happy to receive pets or get up to eat. She also has the loudest Purr.

Despite your attachment to them, you knew you couldn't keep all of them. It was already getting difficult to leave them alone together when you got to work.
But you had to.
You gotta make money to feed the little fluff balls. Speaking of food, you should go get some, since you're basically running on nothing but dry cereal at this point.

After getting the kittens all settled, you head out. Locking up your front door, you turn to see a rare sight.
The neighboring family had company over. You don't know why they never have anybody come over, but you never see any other cars in their driveway or on the street in front of their house.
As your mind wanders, it lands on the kids. The oldest child specifically. He's attending college, and is staying with his family while he studies. But his younger brother told you that he was feeling pretty down. The reason being that his cat died only weeks before his classes started.
Its been almost a year and you haven't heard or seen of another cat. Maybe he'd be interested in adopting one?
Maybe you could ask later, since they have company over right now.

Though you do wonder if he'd even let you ask, since the two of you don't exactly know each other.
You'd barely spoken, and often only in mundane ways. But there was no shame in trying. After all, from what you've heard, he's a wonderful pet owner, so its worth a try.

________________________

You hurriedly slip your key into the lock, worried that you arms would fall off if you had to carry these bags for too much longer.

Finally having made it to the kitchen, you set down the bags and head outside to get the last few.
As you pick up the bags and close your car door, you notice that the car was still in the neighbors driveway.
"Damn, I guess I still can't ask.."
You sigh and close the car door, locking it before going inside.

After putting away everything, you go into the room with the kittens.
"Hey sweeties" You whisper to the sleeping felines.
You set the last bag down on the table.
You start taking out the cans. You got a few cans of soft food, just to see if they would eat some. But mostly its kitten friendly milk.

"I love you" you whisper to the cats as you leave the room, having put away everything you needed to.

You stretch your limbs, ready for bed.
Which was good, Cuz you had to be up early for work tomorrow anyway.
Speaking of, you should set an alarm for that.
You reach into your pocket, but to your horror, find no phone.
Your panic calms when you remember putting it in the cupholder in the car.
Now you're just irritated. You groan and head out to the car.
But, when you step outside, you notice that the car in the neighbors driveway has its lights on.
Actually, looking a bit closer, there's somebody inside.
Oh, are the guests leaving now? Even if that's the case, its definitely too late at night to ask now.
Oh well.

You get your phone from the cupholder in your car and the turn to head inside. On your way back, you notice that the person in the car seems to be rummaging through it.
You stop for a second and watch, worried that maybe somebody was robbing the car.
But when the person turns, you see that its your neighbor. She's holding a spray bottle? Is she cleaning the car?
Without warning, she suddenly turned and saw you looking at her. The way her eyes widened in what seemed like fear startled you.

You push forward a smile and wave at her, hoping to ease the situation a bit.
She ignores your action, instead rushing inside.
Swallowing the lump in your throat, you go into your home, locking the door behind you.
For some reason the whole exchange unnerved you, and you ended up locking all of the doors and window before bed.