Five.

(A/N): fair warning, this ones the longest one so far.)

Fuck

You're feeling too nervous to go through with this. Earlier you were feeling so ready to just get it over with. Now its like reality just hit you in the face with a sack of socially-awkward flour.
In the middle of the neighbors driveway was such a wonderful place to be hit with said flour, too.

If they didn't think you were a weirdo before..

you look down at the blanket-lined box in your hands, which is holding five confused and excited kitties.
You take a deep breath to steady your nerves and then look back up at the neighbors house.

You walk up to the door, trying not to just turn tail and run away. This situation isn't that bad after all.
The kids like you, so the parents probably won't yell at you.

You lift your knee and keep balance as you set the box on your leg, your hand holding the box stable.
This way you can knock on the door with your now-free hand.
Sure, you could set the box down, but you know damn well Koi would take the opportunity to hop out of the box.
You knock on the door.

Fuck, I can't turn back now.
An unexpected second wave of anxiety hits you.
Though it seems that the anxiety monster exhausted most of its power in the first round, Cuz this time it isn't as bad.

...

Nobody is answering..
You knock again, quickly glancing behind you.
Suddenly, you feel like an idiot.
Their car isn't in the driveway.

But just as you were about to runaway cursing at yourself, the door opens.
You turn back to look, going back to holding the box properly with both hands.
Cecil stares back at you through the open door, at first looking perplexed but he quickly shifts to a polite smile.

"(Y/N)!" He sounds happy?
You force a smile onto your face and take a step back.
You hurriedly ramble off your reason for being there.
"Sorry! I was just stopping by to see if you wanted to meet the cats? in case you decided to take one after all-"
Like a verbal version of tumbling down the stairs, you keep going.
"Ah! But I guess I'm still partially asleep Cuz I didn't notice that your parents aren't home. If you want I can come back la-"

"Oh, don't be silly! They won't mind, come inside!" He has a big smile plastered over his face as he opens the door wider and steps aside for you.
Inside?!
You hadn't even thought of going inside!
"Uh.. Well, I um. I thought we'd stay in the yard-"
He cuts you off with a sweet-sounding laugh. "Aw, no need to be such a stranger. Come on!"

Warily, you step inside.
The house is pretty much what you expected. Very clean, crosses on the walls, a cabinet full of expensive plates that nobody is allowed to use.
Just as you were about to set the box down, Cecil stops you.

"Oh, not in the living room!"
You straighten back up and apologize, but he waves it off.
"Mother and Father prefer animals stay off of the carpets, that's all."
His smile is actually pretty comforting.
This kid seems to have a natural gift for that. Maybe he could work as something like a nurse or a daycare worker. He seems like he'd be good in a career like that.

"Just a moment, I need to get something. While I'm doing this, please take your shoes off and set them by the door."
He walks past you and into what you assume is the kitchen.