PROLOUGE

FAYE MATHEWS.

January 19, 2018.

It was a cold night. The wind blew against me pushing me back. It was my nightly stroll, which had led me up to my school. In the dead of the night the school looked creepy. There were no lights on and the wind made eerie noises, blowing against the open windows of the high school.

The sound of silent cries reached my ear. It was a strange sound. It sounded like someone was speaking through a gag. I walked towards the sound. Curiosity got the best of me, it was probably a bully near school.  

I quickened my pace and walked towards the noises intending to put a stop to the pleading cries. The cries grew more frequent, in pace with my walking. Soon, I was running desperate to help the person in pain. I was panting hoping to get to the victim.

I turned the corner and stopped dead in my tracks. This would haunt me for the rest of my life. It terrified me, the fright it caused me shook me to my bones.

There was Zach Reynolds, he stood beside a gagged person. He was a bully alright, but I never thought it would come this far. 

"It would have never come to this if you had accepted my offer, you know?", he spoke to the person, except it was a dead body. I had seen it happen. I had seen him run his knife across the base of Finch Tailor's throat.

It was a simple cut running across his throat just deep enough. A simple cut by which Finch lost his life. It made me wonder how something so simple can be so quick to take away something so valuable. Something we fight for every day, life.

I stood by the side muffling my cries which were pleading to be let out, I let the silent tears slide down my cheek as I watched helplessly from afar. Had I been there earlier, there was a chance that things would have turned out differently.

Even in my head, it didn't sound true. I couldn't have done anything. The only difference I would have made would be my death along with Finch's.

Zach moved away from the body, his face obscured with a ski mask. I only recognised him because of his shoes, it had a marking that I knew was Zach's. He's always wanted to be like Stephen Curry, hence the quote on his shoes, 'I can do all things....'. His identity was only confirmed when he took off his mask.

He pulled out his phone and dialled a number pressing the phone against his ear.

"Hello? There has been murder", that was all he said, so shakily. I knew the police would be here in a matter of minutes. It would be of no use telling them. It was my word against Zach's, his lawyer parents would have me out of the equation in a matter of seconds.

I turned and ran, I ran until I was safely inside the confines of my house. Where I hoped I would forget everything that happened tonight.