CHAPTER - 2

January 27,2018.

JUSTIN ALEXANDER.

Football practice was becoming hectic as the day of the first game of the season drew closer. It was obligatory for us to win this game. Being the captain, I couldn't slack off even for a second.

I had just finished morning practice and was washing up for today's classes. Ever since I had woken up I have had this nagging feeling. A feeling like something bad was going to happen and soon. I couldn't shake off the eerie feeling of being watched.

My instincts told me to run. They were yelling for me to run away. My gut has never been wrong and not once in my life had I doubted or tossed it aside. I don't know what made me do it this time but I shoved it to the back of my head.

It couldn't have been anything serious anyway. I picked up my gym bag and got ready to attend a day full of classes. I highly doubt I'll attend every class though.

My shoulders ached as I dragged my feet through the hallways of the school walking towards my locker to get the books for my first class. Each step brought about an agonizing ache in my calf muscles. Waving and greeting some students with whom I had been acquainted with over the years, I passed by with a confident smirk in place.

Today is very weird, even though there is nothing out of the ordinary going on around me. Reaching my locker, I pulled it open for a piece of paper to fly out.

I bent down and picked it up when Zach came bounding my way. He looked panicked and quite frankly scared out of his mind.

"Have you seen it yet?", he asked me searching my face for an answer.

"What are you talking about?", I asked him confused as to what had got him so worked up all of a sudden.

"Read the letter, will you? Everyone in our group got the same letter today morning they're all freaking out", Zach said shifting his gaze to the letter clutched in my hand.

Frowning to myself I opened the envelope that was addressed to me in calligraphic writing. I unfolded the letter that had been stuffed inside. It was written in a fine, neat writing. What made it creepier was the fact that it was written in a shade of blood red.

I am coming for you.

That was it. Nothing less, nothing more. Yet it managed to send a shiver down my spine. I reasoned that it was just another prank being played by one of the boys trying to ease the tension building up for the first game coming up.

I told Zach that it was just another prank before making my way to my first class. Even saying it loud did nothing to make me believe my own words. It sounded like I was convincing myself.

I just finished my English class still not being able to brush off the feeling of being watched. I walked to the washroom not caring about being late for my next class.

Lazily pushing the door open, I stepped inside. The soft sounds of laughter reached my ear. Between laughter there was whispering.

Now you can't tell anyone.

The voice whispered. That was exactly what I had told Jamie before I had done it and tainted my soul for all of etrenity.

Brushing it off I went ahead to wash my face. Finishing that I looked into the mirror. I stumbled backwards eyes wide with fear.

My reflection stared back at me with dead and cold eyes. What surprised me more was the deep gash across my throat leaking blood. The reflection stared unblinking whispering one sentence over and over again.

I am sorry.

The deep red blood continued to gush out of my wound on the neck. The sight of blood making me slightly dizzy and lightheaded. I was rooted to my spot, not out of fear. No, it was different. I couldn't move even if I tried. When I felt my legs loosen up I heard it again, the faint sound of laughter.

I was completely shaken up as I ran out of the washroom and out of school. I made my way towards home. Right now, it was the only safe place I could think of.

Hurrying home I locked myself up in my bedroom panting with relief. I slid into my bed the events of today circling around on my mind.

Mulling over everything I fell into restless slumber.

I stood at the gate of the town graveyard. It was completely dark the sky was clear. It was a full moon night which made it much creepier.

I walked towards the gate lifting my hand to rest on it. Right before my hand touched the gate it swung open creaking loudly. Its creaking did not hold back it's speed. The gate flew back banging on the wall behind it. Then there was pin drop silence. No sounds of the aftermath of the gate tearing open, no echoes were heard. 

Although a clear sky the air was hung with mist. It was eerily quiet. Too quiet. Suddenly the wind howled, the branches creaked, the leaves rustled. Within a few seconds the sounds ceased.

The wind whispered. That was the only sound there was. Laughter and whispering. It whispered over and over.

I am coming for you.

I jolted awake, my hair sticking to my forehead slick with sweat. I looked at my alarm clock to see it was already four o'clock. I couldn't believe that I had slept that long. 

I made my way to the bathroom and splashed my face with water. Jolting out of my sleepy daze I pulled out the piece of paper from my pocket.

I am coming for you.

Frowning I threw it away and looked up into the mirror. The reflection sent me reeling back in shock for the second time today.

The figure next to my reflection wore a crazed grin. He looked like he had trekked through the woods to get here with leaves and mud stuck to him. He held a knife and his wrist was slit with blood flowing, dripping onto the knife.

I am coming for you. 

I turned back to find nothing but thin air. I turned back to the mirror. I grew pale at the new reflection. He held a sharpened knife to my throat. I felt nothing at my throat. Slowly, I felt the pressure at my neck grow.

He laughed. It was the same laugh I heard the whole day. The worst part of the encounter was the fact that I recognized him. I knew who he was. I knew my death would not be a quick one.

I drew myself away from him somehow. I turned towards him holding my hands out, trying to stop him.

I am coming for you. I never lie.

He lunged.