CHAPTER - 4

January 28, 2018.

JESSICA VERMONT

Today just did not start out right. I woke up to a huge zit on my nose. No one has a clue of how much effort and skill it takes to cover up those stupid things.

Sighing, I went into the bathroom to shower. Sighing, I walked up to the mirror to dry my hair, this was going to take a while. A high-pitched scream left my mouth as I stared in horror at the reflection staring back at me.

My hair was freaking green. My pretty blonde hair was nowhere to be seen. My heart was beating erratically, thundering against my chest seeming to look for a way out of it. I could not go to school like this.

I ran downstairs taking this dilemma to my mother. I am going to tell her that I wasn't going to school today. My first stop is going to be the parlour.

"Mom. I cannot go to school today. Not looking like this. Have you seen my hair? It has never, ever in my life been this bad. I mean look at it. Its green. Do you hear me?", I said.

"Yes honey. It looks terrible. What were you trying to do?", my mother asked chuckling to herself, "You should visit the hair dresser darling. Your hair looks hideous. You don't have to go to school today. But only today, do you understand me? Not another day can you miss school without a reason. Okay? Oh! Did I mention that your hair looks hideous?", she ended with a laugh.

"Yes, I know. You don't have to rub it in", I answered annoyed gazing at my messed-up hair in the curve of the spoon. How did this happen?

I changed and made my way to the parlour as soon as possible. After I told the hair dresser which colour I wanted it, I sat back and relaxed with a magazine. At least I got to miss school.

My hair was finally done after what felt like years. They were setting it with the dryer when my hair got stuck in it. It hurt so bad. They were trying to pull it off. There were shouts from all directions.

I felt tears running down my cheeks as I screamed my lungs out.

"Someone get it off", I cried.

The power went off and they were able to cut my hair from the dryer. Humiliated I ran. I ran away blindly, my head still throbbing. I stopped after a few minutes to realise that it was already noon. My throat was so sore from screaming so much.

My day was going so bad. First my hair was turned green, now I barely have any hair on the right side of my scalp. I am humiliated. How the fuck am I supposed to show my face in public now? I'll just go home now.

Entering the house, I made sure to close the door behind me and put the lock in place. There was something wrong here. I could just feel it. Frowning I entered the house looking around for any signs of life.

"Mom? Dad? Anyone home?", I screamed into the house. They weren't home. I knew it although I didn't know how. Mom and dad weren't home, but someone was. I could feel their presence, its like they wanted me to know they were there.

Brushing aside the foreign feeling I made my way towards my room. I stepped onto the stairs to be halted by a creaking noise. It sounded further up the stairs. My heart beat picked up slightly. I reached the top of the stairs when I heard it again, the creaking. It was not possible.

I felt a shiver run down my spine, I felt someone breathing down my neck. It couldn't be. My hoody covered my neck. Panic settled in as I turned around in my step to see nothing. Writing it off as a figment of my imagination I walked ahead towards my bedroom.

I froze in place as I heard the distinct noise of laughter. It echoed off of the walls. It came at me from every angle, not letting me decide which side it was coming from. It stopped as abruptly as it came. I looked at the clock hanging on the wall. It read two in the afternoon.

I rushed up the marble stairs into my room closing the door and locking it shut.

You can't keep me out.

A voice whispered. I felt my whole body heating up with fright. I started hyperventilating.

I am coming to get you.

The lock ticked open, the door was beginning to swing open. I ran into the bathroom, locking the door and moving to the farthest corner of the bathroom. Somehow, I felt nothing could stop what was coming for me. The note had warned me. I should not have taken Justin's death lightly.

I caught sight of myself in the bathroom mirror. A scream rose to my lips. My face drained of any blood.

There was a slit across my throat, with blood running down the slit. My hair was a terrible green and uneven from todays events. My eyes were lifeless as my lips formed a sickening grin. My clothes were blotted with blood as more streamed from my neck.

Tears rose into my eyes as I stared at my reflection. Laughter erupted from everywhere. A note fell in front of me. It was the same note I had received.

I am coming for you.

I ran towards the door tugging it open. Forgetting in my haste that it was locked in the first place. I ran towards the main door with no interruptions. Just as I was getting my hand on the knob I felt a force pushing me back.

Lying on the floor I looked up to see him. I knew him.

He smiled at me.

I am coming for you.

He lunged.