♘ Prologue ♘

*Tick tok *Tick tok *Tick tok

As the grandfather clock continued to tick, a pretty brunette sat on her bed, glancing outside of a beautiful glass window.

The girl waited patiently yet cautiously for the arrival of her guest. It was well past midnight - a time when the School Master loved to come out.

With a single swish, the window opened smoothly without a sound. A shadow came into view. It did not seem to be in a rush, nor cautious as it strode into the room

"I see that you have expected my company, Lyra," The School Master's deep voice echoed through the room.

"You know how I am," Lyra said. "Always one step ahead."

The School Master took a step into the light so that she saw him clearly. As usual, he wore a silver mask, covering his face, and had a rusty crown on his thick white hair.

"Not this time," The School Master said.

Lyra snorted. "That's what you always say to make yourself feel better."

Though she couldn't see it, Lyra knew the School Master smiled maliciously beneath his mask.

He spread out his hands as a letter appeared out of thin air. Then, he held it out for her to take. "For you."

Lyra stared at him curiously as she hesitantly took the letter from his hand.

She raised an eyebrow upon reading the first sentence.

You have been accepted to the School for Evil. . .

"So?" Lyra deadpanned, not bothering to finish reading. "What does this have to do with me?"

"I didn't realize you've turned blind," The School Master leered. "If you look closely, you could say your days of traveling are officially over."

Lyra crossed her arms, carelessly tossing the letter aside. "So I've been accepted to the "great" School for Evil where every student ends up dead at the end of the day. I can't believe it!" She exclaimed with fake enthusiasm. Her smile disappeared to a cold glare. "If anything, I think you're the one who's turned blind. It's an invitation letter. I have the right to decline."

"You're right," The School Master agreed. "Now the question is: would you?"

"A better question is why would I not?" Lyra retorted. "We all know Evil has been losing for the last two hundred years! Going to that school is practically digging my own grave."

"Aren't you tired of traveling all day?" The School Master asked, nonchalantly taking a seat on a chair. "Sure you see and learn "new things" but one day you're going to realize you've seen the world and wish you had something bigger. Something like an actual goal. A purpose in life. Something my school can offer-"

"Too bad then, I already have all of those," Lyra interjected with a yawn. "If the only reason you came here was to give me this letter then you may very well leave before you waste anymore of your time because. . ." She thrusted the letter into his hands. "I'm not going."

The School Master gazed at her before sighing. "You truly are a wasted treasure."

"Say whatever you want, " Lyra muttered. "But just get off my chair."

She could feel the School Master staring daggers at her but she ignored him. A long, tense silence settled into the air until the School Master finally got up and made his way to the window.

Lyra waited for him to leave but instead he placed his hands inside his pockets and said, "I have two new Readers coming in this year."

"Well then, I suggest you hurry and go to them instead of standing here trying to be all dramatic," Lyra responded curtly.

The School Master ignored her remark and continued, "I think they're going to be the most interesting pair out of all the Readers so far. I have high hopes for one of them."

"Why so?" Lyra asked, before wishing she hadn't said anything. Why was she always so darn curious?

She could practically see the smile behind the School Master's mask as he turned to face her, glad to finally have her attention. "Well then, you'll just have to come to my school to find out, won't you?"

And before Lyra could retaliate, the School Master leapt out from the window and disappeared into the night.

School for Evil, huh? Lyra thought as she stared at the now empty room. If she was being honest, the two magnificent schools, known throughout the entire Woods for both their famous and infamous tales, had always intrigued her. The School for Evil, especially. She had always wondered what made them lose every year. Were the students just not good enough? Or was there some sort of curse preventing them from winning their story?

Perhaps a part of her wondered if she could bring change to it. She wasn't some ordinary girl after all. From young, she realised she had the ability to hear one's heart's intentions. It wasn't exactly reading people's mind but she could see what their goal was. Or at least what they were trying to do.

Many, however, had mistaken her as a seer when the truth was that she was born with a big brain and usually placed the person's heart's intention together with the current circumstance. This allowed her to roughly know what will happen.

It was a dangerous ability to have but it was very useful as well. And the School Master was well aware of that.

Not to mention she had the power to summon all sort of weapons to her defense. From canons to shields, she could summon all of it with a click of her finger. Where these powers came from, she had no idea. But it didn't matter. These powers were hers and she would use them to her full advantage.

I'm sure I'll fit right in there. Lyra mused. Maybe I should go. . . But will my pride survive though?

She frowned remembering how certain she was when she told the School Master she wouldn't be going to the School for Evil. She could already picture his smirk when he heard the news that she would be coming.

Plus, it's not like I can go anymore, anyways. She told herself. I literally tossed my acceptance letter right back to him.

She smiled, expecting to feel relief but instead she just felt. . .disappointed.

Lyra shook her head. Time to sleep.

She was about to tuck herself in when she stopped. On her desk was a letter. The very same letter she thought she'd tossed back to the School Master.

Lyra moved towards the table, unsure whether to feel happy or mortified that the School Master knew her so well.

Slowly, she picked up the envelope and opened it again. This time she carefully read each and every sentence, making sure to not miss any details.

By the time she finished, something in her knew that there was no way she wasn't going. Her curiosity wouldn't allow her to do otherwise.

Lyra smiled wondering if her curiosity was a gift or blessing. It would have seem that her traveling days were over. Going to the School for Evil meant that she was going to have a nemesis. It meant that she was going to have a quest.

As she tucked herself into bed that night, Lyra had no idea what laid ahead of her was going to be the start of the biggest adventure she was ever going to have.