Ch. 10: Caught Red Handed

Kihyun

~the next morning~

I groaned loudly as my body felt so sore. I sat up and looked around to see where I was as I didn't recognize it at first. I was still at the precinct. I looked down at my lap and saw a black leather jacket. What is this doing here? Who's this? 

After putting on my glasses, I got up and stretched as I ran through the events from yesterday. I vaguely remembered someone putting it on me and sitting in front of me. But, I couldn't tell who it was as I was not wearing my glasses. I shrugged and just folded it before leaving it on the coach. Whoever this belongs to probably would come to pick it up eventually.

Seeing that there wasn't any fresh coffee in the pot, I opened a packet of green tea, added it into a cup, and got hot water from the water dispenser. 

*door opening*

"Good morning," a voice calls out.

I turned around to see Hyunwoo. "Morning," I answered monotonously. 

"You're here early," he adds.

"Mhmm," I said as I wasn't about to admit that I slept in the break room.

"Your hair is messy," he says and reaches out to brush my bangs away from my eyes. Before he could, I smacked his hand away. For a second, I thought I saw a look of hurt flashed through his eyes, but I dismissed that thought quickly. 

"Apologizes. I don't like it when people I don't know well touch me," I said after I took a sip of hot tea. 

"No need (to say sorry). I shouldn't have tried," he says meekly. 

~forty three minutes later~

"Officer 39854. Reporting from 4839 Shinsaeul Blvd. Suspect has taken a large black bag to his car and is looking around suspiciously. Permission to pursuit," a voice says from one of the walkie talkies in the room. 

"Isn't that the address for the boyfriend of the victim," I asked Hyunwoo. He immediately flips through the files and nods.

"Officer 39854, permission granted, but do not approach. Just tail him until we arrive," Hyunwoo says into the walkie.

"10-4," she answers.

~in the patrol car~

"Officer 39854, what is your position," Hyunwoo says (into the walkie). 

"Currently pursuing the suspect on Yeongah Ave. I think he is heading to Olympic Highway," she answers.

"10-4," he replies and quickly makes haste to get there in time.

~after they catch up~

~the woods~

Officer Lisa, Hyunwoo, and I decided to go different ways hoping to trap him in. The suspect keeps glancing around so I had to crouch low making my pants dirty. By the time he stops, I definitely need to send it to the dry cleaners. He takes a shovel out of his bag and starts to dig a hole. 

I looked to where Hyunwoo was. He shakes his head and signals me to wait. I nodded as he told Officer Lisa the same thing. Next, he throws the shovel to the side and brushes away some of the dirt that got on him. He pauses like he knew that someone was there. The suspect looks around just in case. When he decides that no one was watching, he pulls out a long piece of wood from his bag. It had dried blood on it.

As I was about to look at Hyunwoo for the signal to grab him, Officer Lisa pops out and screams, "Freeze! Police! Stay where you are."

The suspect growls and shakes the wood at her angrily. "What is a little girl like you going to do? You think you can catch me," he yells before walking toward her.

"I said freeze," Officer Lisa replies and takes out her revolver. 

"Psh, a little girl like you wouldn't pull the trigger," he smiles evilly. Then, I see Hyunwoo moving toward him silently and carefully. I followed suit. 

"I'm not a little girl," she shouts as her hands shook. As he got closer, she started to back up. In the next second, Hyunwoo charges forward and brought him to the ground. They struggled for a bit, but Hyunwoo manages to subdue him.

"Are you okay," I asked Officer Lisa.

"I'm fine. Just my nerves got the best of me. It's my first time working in this department," she mumbles. 

"You did alright. Braver than some people I know," I said with a small smile. 

"Let me go," the suspect yells as Hyunwoo put him in cuffs. He ignores him and pulled him up onto his feet.

"Move it," he says as he holds him by the arm.

"I can walk myself," the suspect yells back. I rolled my eyes and picked up the evidence with gloves on. Another day in the field I guess...

A/N: I don't know if Korea has something like the Miranda rights so yeah...