Chapter Sixteen

Hamza paced the hall at the house as Umme Khultum sat coloring.It was already 6 o'clock and Nazmeera was not home.This had been the way she would be coming home and Hamza was annoyed by it.Since Yusuf had popped up Nazmeera had barely given him any time.

It was annoying him and putting him on the edge with the fear of losing her.He needed to speak to her before he decided that swearing Yusuf was the correct option.Hamza heard the door open and Umme Khultum got up to run to greet her mother.

Hamza heard Nazmeera's yelp of surprise as Umme Khultum probably ran into her.Their voices were hushed as they came into the lounge and Nazmeera sat Umme Khultum down,with a wrapped box in her hands.

"As salaam mu alaykum Nazmeera."

Nazmeera looked at Hamza and smiled as she glanced down at her daughter who begun to unwrap the gift paper.

"WA alaykum mu salaam Hamza.Sorry I'm late.I had an urgent meeting and then...."

"You had to meet up with Yusuf so you got late,right?" Nazmeera shook her head at his tone and looked down again when Umme Khultum let out a scream of joy.

"Mama,this is so cute." In Umme Khultum's hand she held a Lego box and Nazmeera nodded her head.

"Yes it is.Uncle Yusuf said that it's a early present for you." Hamza clenched his jaw at her words and stormed into the kitchen with Nazmeera looking at his back with a sigh.

"Umme why don't you go to your room and open it up.I'll come play with you now now."

"Okay mama.Tell uncle Yusuf I said jazakallah."

"I will sweetheart." Umme Khultum walked to her room and Nazmeera made her way to the kitchen where she found Hamza sitting on the floor drinking water.

"Hamza..."

"What Nazmeera?" He stood up and Nazmeera would have been taken back by his harsh glare bust she was not.In a way she deserved it and now she had to do her part of explain to Hamza why she had been so late the entire week.

"I have some explaining to do."

Hamza rolled his eyes,"No,you don't.I don't want to hear of how amazing your week with Yusuf has been." Nazmeera almost flinched at Hamza's tone but she caught herself at the last moment and walked forward only to lean on the opposite side of the counter.

"Yusuf was not here just to meet me okay.He wanted help planning out the venue and other things for his wedding.Its not been amazing,it's been tiring."

"That doesn't cover up the fact of why you slept in the lounge and in the other room when you would get back!" Hamza gave her an accusing look and Nazmeera took a deep breath.

"I didn't want to disturb Umme Khultum and your sleep because I was finishing up work.Its not that I didn't want to sleep in the room with you and Umme Khultum,I would do my work and by the time I was done I'd be dozing off Hamza."

Hamza moved forward to lean forward against the counter,"Oh so now I'm Hamza,what happened to Mr.Sulaiman?How are we going to work this out now that you working almost full time?How are we going to ever mend this broken relationship?Or is it that you don't want us to mend our relationship?"

Nazmeera closed her eyes as she recalled a conversation she had,had earlier that day with Yusuf.

Nazmeera and Yusuf walked into the office,they both took their seats as they discussed some final decisions regarding his wedding.

"So what's going between you and your hubby now?" Nazmeera gave him a small almost sad smile.

"We together but not together.I mean we together cause of Umme Khultum but we not together as spouses should be.I just don't have it in me to trust him,Aamanah even my aunt and uncle."